• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

AT&T the new secret police of USA Corporations...

Reaction score
Just read this aritcle and I found this funny... how Americans are so proud of their freedom and you have a corporation pull this off...

AT&T has revised their Terms of Service in a manner that should horrify the consumer public. Usually such updates screw the customer subtly, but AT&T's new adjustment ironically pulls freedom of speech directly from those using AT&T's service to speak. In short, if you slam AT&T, they can pull your service:

AT&T may immediately terminate or suspend all or a portion of your Service, any Member ID, electronic mail address, IP address, Universal Resource Locator or domain name used by you, without notice, for conduct that AT&T believes...(c) tends to damage the name or reputation of AT&T, or its parents, affiliates and subsidiaries.
Of course, AT&T has overlooked one important fact about their TOS: they can't cancel a customer's service who will no longer do business with them anyway. Changes in TOS are often a loophole out of your contract. And if I were an AT&T customer, my choice would be pretty clear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This raises an interesting legal question. Service from any vendor is a privilege, not a right, so I presume they have the right to suspend that privilege. I am just not sure if the reasons they proffer are immune from legal challenge. I am not smart enough legally to know.

For example, could Dunkin Donuts refuse you admission to their stores if you stood in the stores and said damaging things about their products, true or not (just point out the fat and calorie content - ackkkk!)?

Perhaps this is a matter of AT&T protecting themselves from the use of their own facilities to slander them?

In the end though, it does look awfully open ended...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
This raises an interesting legal question. Service from any vendor is a privilege, not a right, so I presume they have the right to suspend that privilege. I am just not sure if the reasons they proffer are immune from legal challenge. I am not smart enough legally to know.

True, but I can see a problem with this. Because of the nature of phone/internet services (ie. infrastructure costs), they often have monopolies in local areas. For example, if I want phone and internet service in my area, I MUST go with AT&T. The only other option is paying almost twice as much to switch to Time Warner. There really isn't a solution to this infrastructure problem.

Because AT&T is my only option, is it fair that they can limit my free speech on their network? It would be different in a competitive market, but this is not one.

I am also not a legal expert by any means, so...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
That sounds like a pretty quick way to get out a contract. Say i was upset with their service, I could post a blog about ATT and they'd drop me? I assume since they are breaking the contact, I wouldn't have to pay the $175 early termination fee, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Who is the source of this article? You didn't name one. That sounds a little far fetched that just knocking on the phone company will get your service terminated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
What is interesting is that the law protects service providers from the consequences of illegal activity on their networks. If AT&T sets a president of taking action on anyone 'harming' their business, then other companies could argue they should be afforded the same protection and pursue AT&T for damages if that doesn't happen.

This was mentioned on the ARS Technica site, and is an interesting point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Who is the source of this article? You didn't name one. That sounds a little far fetched that just knocking on the phone company will get your service terminated.

I bet prior to Sprint kicking users for calling customer service too much, people would have thought that far-fetched also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Here is a link to the article.

LINKY

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Well that sounds a little ridiculous if it isn't being misinterpreted. I'd like to hear AT&T's rationale for this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Well that sounds a little ridiculous if it isn't being misinterpreted. I'd like to hear AT&T's rationale for this.

The key to misinterpretation is, interpretation. Just ask any lawyer or tax accountant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro...2.4GHZ intel, 2GB Ram
The real incredible part of all of this is that you could call back in a month and start your service over...I doubt they keep records of this. I know it is possible with sprint to go right over to the store and get a new phone, discounts and all, and set up a new account. One of my friends had this happen to him. So what is the point? If I felt like sending out all of the messages that come with getting a new phone number, I would call and whine until they dropped me at least once a year, dependent on whether or not I wanted/needed a new phone....

OP
T
Reaction score
actually how does that affect with privacy? Lets say you decided to talk on the phone with your friend and you start saying bad things about AT&T and they terminate your service... so doesn't that mean they are spying on your conversations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
It looks to me like this does not apply to its phone/cellular service. I think this is only for DSL subscribers. This is probably more to stop illegal downloads of copy righted material than anything else IMO. I don't use AT&T DSL anyway because it is too slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
I bet prior to Sprint kicking users for calling customer service too much, people would have thought that far-fetched also.
Agreed.

As for AT&T DSL speeds, I have their Elite service and haven't noticed slower speeds than my previous ISP, Comcast Cable. Then again, according to a AT&T Tech, I am 870' ft from the box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.