• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What will Leopard include?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
I wanna know...

If i go down to my local apple retailer (at my university, in the supply store) and purchase a copy of Leopard, will it include anything but the core OS? Like will it come with iLife '08 or any other special toys?

The reason I ask is that I was about to buy iLife '08.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Leopard retail, like Tiger retail, will not include iLife apps. However if you buy a new Mac, you'll get Leopard and iLife.

You'll still get Apple Mail, Safari, iTunes and apparently Front Row. You won't get iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie, iWeb or Garage Band.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone
I have a similar question, I've just bought a new imac which came with ilife etc, if i buy Leopard when it comes out will I be able to keep theses apps or will it delete them when I install, as the mac I bought i dont think came with a physical cd for ilife?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a similar question, I've just bought a new imac which came with ilife etc, if i buy Leopard when it comes out will I be able to keep theses apps or will it delete them when I install, as the mac I bought i dont think came with a physical cd for ilife?

You can upgrade the OS without losing your apps, although it is always preferable to install the OS 'clean' for performance and stability reasons.

Your Apps will be on your 2nd DVD and should install on Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone
Yea I did get 2 cd's wasn't sure what they were tho, thats great thanks

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can upgrade the OS without losing your apps, although it is always preferable to install the OS 'clean' for performance and stability reasons.

Your Apps will be on your 2nd DVD and should install on Leopard.

Now here's a good question... If I do a "clean install", will i then have a nice fresh system just as if i had just purchased it? will there be a second disk if i just buy Leopard and not a new mac? and what is the best way to backup all of my important music and movies and all other data (it's just under 100 gigs...)??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now here's a good question... If I do a "clean install", will i then have a nice fresh system just as if i had just purchased it? will there be a second disk if i just buy Leopard and not a new mac? and what is the best way to backup all of my important music and movies and all other data (it's just under 100 gigs...)??

There are entire websites dedicated to this, so I won't go into too much detail. However, the short answer is that if you format and re-install the OS, yes it's as though the machine in new. You'll be shocked at how quickly it boots up!

Assuming you allow iPhoto, iTunes etc to look after all your files, backing up your home directory is usually enough to ensure you keep all your settings.

I always additionally export my Firefox bookmarks and archive Entourage - also clean out your browser cache before backing up... you really don't need to restore 6 Gbs of GIF files do you? :Smirk:

Finally, I do usually keep all my DMG downloads for apps I keep, just in case some use installers, rather than drag the application folder to the backup. it's often best to reinstall all your apps freshly, to keep performance optimal.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are entire websites dedicated to this, so I won't go into too much detail. However, the short answer is that if you format and re-install the OS, yes it's as though the machine in new. You'll be shocked at how quickly it boots up!

Assuming you allow iPhoto, iTunes etc to look after all your files, backing up your home directory is usually enough to ensure you keep all your settings.

I always additionally export my Firefox bookmarks and archive Entourage - also clean out your browser cache before backing up... you really don't need to restore 6 Gbs of GIF files do you? :Smirk:

Finally, I do usually keep all my DMG downloads for apps I keep, just in case some use installers, rather than drag the application folder to the backup. it's often best to reinstall all your apps freshly, to keep performance optimal.

wow, so if i backup my home directory, i won't lose all of the preferences that i have set in the apps for example cleardock and shapeshifter? amazing... much better than windoze!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow, so if i backup my home directory, i won't lose all of the preferences that i have set in the apps for example cleardock and shapeshifter? amazing... much better than windoze!

Just check that those apps store their settings in the user library, not the root library. 99% of the time, it's in the user library under Application Support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.