Authentication to a W2K3 Share

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I am not a MAC user. So please respond like you are talking to a new user...

I have searched this site and seen some Authentication answers but not the one I need...so here we go...

I work for a company that records video for Doctors and stores it on a Win 2003 server.

One particular Doctor has a MAC in his office with Windows Parallels Desktop 3.0 for MAC on it. In order to view our videos he needs to have access to the share they are located in on the server. In the Windows Parallel I am able to map a drive to this share and if I use that mapping he can view these videos fine with Windows Media Player. However, this is not a viable option becaue the files are saved with a Date/Time file name and he needs to search for them by patient name. We have a web interface that allows him to search by name, but then when he goes to view the videos, using the IE interface the videos do not play. If I right click on the video screen and copy the path to an explorer window it asks for my login to the server????

So, my question is if I have a drive mapped to the server why am I still beeing asked to authenticate? Does the MAC not save this info? By the way the Server is in a Domain and the MAC is not. Any suggestions on how to get around this?

In the Windows environment, if I have a PC that is in a workgroup and I try to get into a Server that is on a domain, if I just map a drive to that server, I can then access the data, I don't have to put in any more user names and passwords.

Thanks in advance for any help.
EP

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.