Macbook screen, things cut off

Reaction score
Hi
I have a macbook. I have ben using it for a few months and usually the screen is fine. Even when I watch a movie on "fullscreen" mode, I never noticed anything wrong. But now I click "get info" on a file, and get that tall thin box which pops up, and I realize I can't see the bottom of it! Actually at first I can, but at the bottom it says "Ownership and permissions", with a little triengle. When I click the triangle, it extends down, below the bottom of the screen! I can't read it. And no way to move it up either.

So, is my screen set to the wrong size? I noticed this once before with a similar window from another program, but thought it was due to the program's bad design. But., this is now finder, which must be designed for the macbook right?

What to do?
Thanks
Justin

P.S. The reason I need to do this is because I think I need to change the permissions on an external drive. Every time I copy something to it, it says " [destination folder] cannot be modified" and asks me to authenticate it with my password. I never used to do that. (Any further insight appreciated!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Well if you need to reach the bottom, how about collapsing some of the options on the top? Click the flippy triangle to collapse stuff like Preview or Open With and stuff and you will get the space you need.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well if you need to reach the bottom, how about collapsing some of the options on the top? Click the flippy triangle to collapse stuff like Preview or Open With and stuff and you will get the space you need.

Yep, some files just have more info than can be displayed with every option expanded.

OP
J
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for your answers you too. Sorry but that sounds quite ridiculous! Disfunctional!
Why don't they make it scrollable? Surely that is logical!
Justin

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Wow, thanks for your answers you too. Sorry but that sounds quite ridiculous! Disfunctional!
Justin

Well, logical, yeah - but you know - programmers ;D

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Justin

If you drag the bottom right of the window up slightly (to make it smaller) then it will magically become a scrollable window. The programmer should have added a check to make that automatic when going off screen, some applications do this and some don't.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Yep. I think its a glitch and in times of desperation, you don't even think of collapsing the other windows. I remember during my early days when I had the same problem....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you drag the bottom right of the window up slightly (to make it smaller) then it will magically become a scrollable window. The programmer should have added a check to make that automatic when going off screen, some applications do this and some don't.

Amen-Moses

Good one - never even considered making the window smaller - but then I am not one of those 'outside the box' thinkers.

OP
J
Reaction score

Amen-Moses

Wow. Okay, make it ... smaller, to make it bigger.
Somehow I would not have thought of that.
Hope the programmers catch on!
Thanks for the tip. Now can make it work well.
Justin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.