Getting Ready to Switch - Need Advice

Reaction score
I am planning to buy the 24" IMac with the 2.4 cpu to replace my PC. I will dual boot with XP and probably install XP using vmware fusion to support Microsoft database applications and many Windows only Hebrew language applications. I will be using Adobe Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom for photo editing with a wacom tablet. Is 2 giga memory enough for good photoshop performance or should I spent the additional large sum for 4 giga. I am using CS3 with 2 giga memory on my PC with excellent performance. I will order as soon as Leopard is released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
2Gigs should be fine. However, the larger the file size is the more memory you will need. For most purposes (semi-pro), 2GB should be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
But - for the love of god - do not buy your ram from apple! Get it from crucial, you will save yourself a fortune and it is really easy to fit.

I run CS2 on the same imac (with 3 gig of ram) it works like a dream, even with A3 sized documents at 600+ Res. Even before I upgraded the ram, CS2 worked really well.

By the way, not sure if you own CS3 yet, but i've had loads of trouble with it on a PC (unable to open more than 2 documents at once - massive problem) - apparently it is a bug, not sure if it's fixed or not. CS2 is way better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree with the above. Get 1GB from apple and get the 2nd GB from an online or other store. SOme are great and are way cheaper than apple's prices. And yes for you I think 2 GB is just fine. I live off 1 GB alright and I am doing some massive image and sound editing at the moment. But yeah I want to get a 2nd too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
Is your Photoshop software going to run on your OS X partition or the Windows partition? For OS X, 2 GB of RAM will be fine, but you may want to look at an upgrade if you're going to run it on the XP side. It'll work, might just be a little laggy depending on what you have going on.

Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont' think there should be a problem on the XP side. Maybe if you install Vista there might be some sluggishness, but XP is quite old and can handle photoshop pretty well...

OP
R
Reaction score
No Vista on My Computer

Thanks for the advice. I do not think non Apple compatible memory is sold in Israel. The sole importer of Apple products in Israel forces us to pay much higher fees for all Apple products. I run CS3 on a fast PC with 2 giga of memory without any problems and very good performance. I totally dislike Vista and will install XP to run a few specific apps that I need to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any SODIMM 1GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM (that is, laptop RAM) is going to work with the Mac... so apple overcharges, yes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.