LaCie D2 Quadra and Retrospect installation

Reaction score
First, I am new to the Mac as of September. I have been using computers for over 27 years. I just bought the 500GB version today. I have never installed a backup device. The documentation for Retrospect is terrible.

I have been fiddling with this for several hours and no farther ahead. From the Lacie side of it, its fine. I connected everything, created two partitions, one for Backup and one I will use just for Storage of stuff I want but dont need to keep on my iMac.

Has anyone here used this and can help understand the logic so I can get it going? I basically want to backup documents, music, pictures.

Thanks all.

M

MacHeadCase

Hi naftalim.

Is there a reason why you absolutely need to use Retrospect? The easiest and best app out there for backups is SuperDuper!

According to this comparison test, Retrospect is to be avoided at all costs while SuperDuper! (this is the correct spelling for the app, btw...) gets the highest marks in all the software that was tested.

perfect preservation of all metadata

It's shareware, doesn't cost an arm and a leg but you can also use it for free. The difference is the free version doesn't offer you all the options paying for your license does like for example, scheduled backups and only updating newer files leaving the old backup intact. Check it out! The link to the products are in the article i linked you to.

OP
N
Reaction score
Ok, some feedback. Used Carbon Copy Cloner, quite nice, set it up in 5 minutes, interface very easy to use, price is right too. Documentation very clear and easy to understand. In fact, 1 day after backing up I had to boot from the external and restore and worked great. There was one issue with the Application Folder but fixed that quickly.

I had been hearing that SuperDuper was best, so decided to try that. Also, very easy to set up, interface is good, CCC interface a bit better for newbies.
Backup was about 2 minutes faster than CCC
(CCC: 21 minutes for 11+GB SD: 19 minutes for 11+GB) Using FireWire 800

So, both are good, need more testing as far as how scheduled events work, and how it performs over the longer term. One thing I do know, thank God I set up my backup a few days ago.

M

MacHeadCase

Scheduled events in SuperDuper! can be used only if you buy your licence. If you use the demo, you can only use one type of backup i.e. erase the previous backup and overwrite it with a new one, other kinds of backups are greyed out.

The article I linked you to did test those apps, btw.

OP
N
Reaction score
Yup, bought the licence last night, (I had paid a $10 donation to CCC, but its still ok as I would like to support the community) I have them both now, so we'll see)

Scheduled events in SuperDuper! can be used only if you buy your licence. If you use the demo, you can only use one type of backup i.e. erase the previous backup and overwrite it with a new one, other kinds of backups are greyed out.

The article I linked you to did test those apps, btw.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.