• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Thinking about an iPhone

Reaction score
Well the iPhone is $400 now, and I'm in the market for a new phone. My roommate has one and its a really outstanding little device. Well with some money on the side, and a really big bag of change, I already have $200 dollars ready to go. So it will cost me about $200 more than I am already ready to spend. I only have very limited experience with the iPhones, so I dont know anything about them really. Will I have to upgrade my plan? Im on a family plan, and I'm just a college student living away from home, so my dad pays for my cell bill right now, but I just don't have the ability to upgrade the plan if I have to. My plan has everything I need now anyway, so breaking from the plan I have now would just be plain stupid (great, yet another monthly expense) So could I just drive to the AT&T store and buy it? Or is it more than that? Is there anything I'm missing? Anything someone should fill me in about? Would you do it? For $200 extra?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
. . . so my dad pays for my cell bill right now, but I just don't have the ability to upgrade the plan if I have to. My plan has everything I need now anyway, so breaking from the plan I have now would just be plain stupid (great, yet another monthly expense) So could I just drive to the AT&T store and buy it? Or is it more than that? Is there anything I'm missing?

Uh, I'm a little confused. You do need the additional iPhone data plan in order to activate it. Will your father foot the bill for that?

I suppose if you really want it, and there's nothing more useful you could spend your money on, go for it. But give it some real thought before buying. It sounds like you're budget is pretty tight and every dollar counts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
I just did this. I am at college. I was in the exact same situation about 5 days ago.

Heres the deal. You can switch your current number to the iphone BUT you have to add the 20 dollar a month iphone data plan. Really it is a good deal since you get unlimited internet and 200 messages.

And you can also upgrade the plan from your computer at college given tht you have the last four digits of your father's SS.

I really like the phone so far. I am using the internet far more than I had originally anticipated.

Plus, it is a chick magnet. :D

OP
C
Reaction score
Naw, I'm pretty set as far as money. But your right, there are far better things to spend 200 dollars on. Well I'm just not sure my dad would be down for that. He only will pay for the basics, anything more he will lay on me. But as for upgrading the plan, I'm sure I cant do that. I just wasnt sure if I could just buy the phone, put in my sim card, and thats all I would have to do. But if I have to upgrade the plan, now I'm not so sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Naw, I'm pretty set as far as money. But your right, there are far better things to spend 200 dollars on. Well I'm just not sure my dad would be down for that. He only will pay for the basics, anything more he will lay on me. But as for upgrading the plan, I'm sure I cant do that. I just wasnt sure if I could just buy the phone, put in my sim card, and thats all I would have to do. But if I have to upgrade the plan, now I'm not so sure.

You would be missing out on a third of the usefulness of the phone without the data plan.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.