One-way video chat?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I'm keen to try out my macs isight camera to send live video to a friend who is currently overseas. They do not have access to a webcam so we wondered whether it is possible to have a 'one-way' video chat using, say, AIM or whether it would only work if we both had webcams. If successful I can see a webcam being top of their Christmas present list!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Yes, it's possible using iChat. The recipient must at least have a microphone, and must have a fast enough connection to receive the video.

The user with the camera has to initiate the chat, and must have a fast enough "upstream" connection to send the video.

Click on the person in the buddy list, and then click on the camera at the bottom of the buddy list window.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Many thanks Technologist. Here's hoping they have a mic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.