• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Headed to Iraq, need help backing up media

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Good morning everyone,

I'm headed to Iraq in the near future and want to know if there is any good kind of way to back up a lot of DVDs that I have onto my computer and store so that I can access them via iTunes/Front Row.

It would be an unwanted hassle to bring DVDs, they'll get lost and/or borrowed (and never returned). Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Whoops, posted in the wrong section, can someone move me please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
Handbrake is what I use to rip DVDs. (Family Guy seasons)

http://handbrake.m0k.org/

Two words of warning:
Each full-length movie will be at least a gigabyte large (probably more). On an 80GB HDD this could be a problem. Though I suppose you could delete them when you're done...

Legality of breaking the copy-protection is questionable... but I don't think it's any problem if you aren't giving away/selling them or such. But in the military... well, that's a choice you'll have to make yourself.

*I neither endorse illegal activity nor am I responsible for anyone's actions*

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Note moved to the correct forum. :)

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't mind large file sizes, I have 250GB internally and another 250GB externally (trying to avoid bringing the external though). Thanks for the suggestions.

EDIT: Thanks rman.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Another option is to use Drive-in by the Flip4Mac crew.

It does not break the encryption, but leaves it in while putting a copy on your hard drive. The movies can be played back with DVD player or Front Row - time wise for ripping it may be faster than handbrake - you can check it out - a dual layer encrypted disk takes about 34 minutes - a single layer non-encrypted disk takes about 10 minutes, the file sizes are also much larger, as it makes an exact copy of the original disk. It is still in beta and currently free thru Jan 1 - at that time you would have to buy the full version to continue using it - they've already extended the beta testing at least twice that I'm aware of - so that should be the deadline of the beta.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Drive-in, interesting. Seems like a good idea. It's a shame that you can't turn them into some kind plain video format to save some space and/or not have to "insert" a movie when you want to access them via front row.

Seems like a cool program otherwise.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Another option is to use Drive-in by the Flip4Mac crew.

It does not break the encryption, but leaves it in while putting a copy on your hard drive. The movies can be poayed back with iDVD player or Front Row - time wise for ripping it may be faster than handbrake - you can check it out - a dual layer encrypted disk takes about 34 minutes - a single layer non-encrypted disk takes about 10 minutes, the file sizes are also much larger, as it makes an exact copy of the original disk. It is still in beta and currently free thru Jan 1 - at that time you would have to buy the full version to continue using it - they've already extended the beta testing at least twice that I'm aware of - so that should be the deadline of the beta.

Awesome - nice catch Bob, virtual rep to you.

Walmartconnect: Best of luck to you, thank you for your service.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No ladies and gentlemen, thank you for the opportunity.

I'm looking into a few more pieces of conversion software, iSquint definitely seems to be promising.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Like others have said... Handbrake, MacTheRipper, etc...

More importantly.... Thank you!!!!! Thank you!!!!! I appreciate what you are doing. My family appreciates what you are doing. The generations to come, appreciate what you are doing. You make us proud to Americans, to live in a country that has individuals such as yourself that do what is needed when needed, and do it with the kind of attitude you have shown here. Godspeed walmartconnect!!!!

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a lot RIDE, you guys make me blush. Don't worry, I'll post my "So Long" thread in anything goes later on.

Anyway, after finding iSquint and subsequently purchasing VisualHub, I think that I've found the solution to my problems.

One question though, after I get my videos into iTunes, I like to find the movie poster online and make that the "artwork". This seems to work for half of my movies, the other half just keep the first frame as its artwork no matter how many times that I try. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I'm not exactly sure how to set up movies in iTunes....

BUT.... Is there a reason you want them in iTunes???

Have you considered keeping the movies in the Movies Folder and playing them with VLC or any other media player?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
walmartconnect, I'll give more words in your Good Bye thread, but I too thank you for what you're doing. While I was never in the military (long story, almost entered but for a medical issue), I worked developing weapon systems years ago. We broke the Iron Curtain. We need to stop terrorism today.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A pet peeve of mine, I like everything to be centralized and accessible from one place. I know that it isn't necessary and it seems kind of silly.

All the same, I never claimed to be the most sensible/efficient person in the world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
WalmartConnect. Though i dont have an answer for you question, I wanted to thank you so much for your services. God Bless you and all the men & women in ojr Military.

Again good luck and God Bless

MMM

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't worry about it Mina, problem solved basically. Thanks for the well wishes though, I do my best to keep my head down and dodge the bullets :Smirk:

Reaction score
Thank you for your service. It honestly means a lot to me. This is weird, but my brother just got home from Iraq as of today. You are taking his place for the time being? Much respect to you and your entire platoon. I hope you arrive back home in full health as he did. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MBP
You can still play the movies via Frontrow if the movies are located in your "movies" folder.

If you want to have it in iTunes make sure you delete the movie from it's original location because iTunes will import it to your library (iTunes/iTunes Music/Movies) and you will have duplicate copies on your hard drive.

RLTW

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks MinaMACMan, I really really appreciate the support.

I must say, there isn't much that I take more pleasure in than serving the men and women of this nation. There will always be dragons in the world that, if they could, would destroy everything and everyone that I love and hold dear to myself. With that in mind, I would gladly go and fight that dragon (just so everyone knows, there are no dragons in Iraq, I'm being symbolistic) so that the people back home would never have to see, deal with, or suffer from the evil that is ever present in the world. If it costs my life, I die knowing that my loved ones are safe.

Semper Fi

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.