New Mac user with a few questions.

Reaction score
I wanted to say hi first of all. I'm sure I'll be posting on here a lot. I just got a nice new MacBook pro. The last mac I owned was back in 1992! My first question is, I have mac os x 10.4.10 Which animal is this version called? I want to get a library book so I can read up on this OS but they all have cat names and I'm not sure which one this is.

2nd question. My mac seems very slow to load web pages. I'm using safari and looking at a mix of web sites, forums, ect.. nothing very graphic intensive.

I'm trying this on my pc that is running Linux. The pages load instantly on this box. Is there some settings I could be messing with on the mac?

Last question, when I open a file full of jpegs I like to open one image then I can hit back/forward and see the rest of the images in the file. Is there a way to do this without viewing the photos in Iphoto or Bridge? I'd like to be able to browse through a file of photos just with preview running.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm like a child lost in the woods when It comes to working with macs!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
For the first question, it is Tiger OS
For the second question, it could be your connection speed.
For the last question, you can use Preview then open the folder where you have the JPEG file and you can view photo thumbnails. My MacBook defaults to Preview when I double click a JPEG file.

Hope this helps. I was not able to give an answer to the third question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.16 4gig 160GB
I wanted to say hi first of all. I'm sure I'll be posting on here a lot. I just got a nice new MacBook pro. The last mac I owned was back in 1992! My first question is, I have mac os x 10.4.10 Which animal is this version called? I want to get a library book so I can read up on this OS but they all have cat names and I'm not sure which one this is.

2nd question. My mac seems very slow to load web pages. I'm using safari and looking at a mix of web sites, forums, ect.. nothing very graphic intensive.

I'm trying this on my pc that is running Linux. The pages load instantly on this box. Is there some settings I could be messing with on the mac?

Last question, when I open a file full of jpegs I like to open one image then I can hit back/forward and see the rest of the images in the file. Is there a way to do this without viewing the photos in Iphoto or Bridge? I'd like to be able to browse through a file of photos just with preview running.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm like a child lost in the woods when It comes to working with macs!

Since upgrading to 4gb ram my page loading has become a bit faster.

kao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, NVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB
Try Xee for an image viewer, you can click next/previous to go through other images in that folder.

OP
D
Reaction score
For the first question, it is Tiger OS
For the second question, it could be your connection speed.
For the last question, you can use Preview then open the folder where you have the JPEG file and you can view photo thumbnails. My MacBook defaults to Preview when I double click a JPEG file.

Hope this helps. I was not able to give an answer to the third question.

the connection speed wouldn't explain the difference between the speed of my linux box and the mac. I emptied the cash this morning. It seems a little faster.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.