Question about apps and the home directory

Reaction score
Hello All,

Recent switcher here, bought a Mac Pro a couple of months back and I am really enjoying it. I also bought it bare bones and am slowly making upgrades here and there. So far I have added 3 additional gigs of RAM and a 320GB hard drive in addition to the stock 250GB. My plan is to wait until Leopard comes out and then buy a 150GB Raptor and use it as my boot drive/apps, another 320GB Hard Drive and set up a striped RAID with my existing 320GB and use the stock 250GB drive for bootcamp and a scratch disk. I’ve done some research and a lot of people recommend a clean install instead of upgrading. My question is would I have to reinstall all my programs again (Adobe CS3 Suite, Games, Perian, etc.) or could I just back up my current boot drive to an external and drag the app files to the new drive? Also, I would want to move all my movies, music, and project files into the striped RAID set up. Would I just delete the movies, pictures, and music folders in my home/user folder and replace them will aliases of the same name pointing to the RAID drive? Any help or advice would be appreciated. I never used to bother with this sort of stuff but since I got a Mac Pro I thought I might as well take the time to pimp it slightly :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd
I can't answer all your questions, but in regards to your first one about the install... When you do a fresh install just like windows you will have to re-install all your applications so i hope you kept a copy of them somewhere... Can someone else help out with the raid question?

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling that would be the case.

If anyone has any insight on the other stuff, I'm all ears.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.