• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Tell me what you think of verbatim210

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First there was Britney, defended by that Crock guy.

Then there were Mac Forum members, defending Crock.

Now there is verbatim210, who shall defend me?

Inspired by the http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78094 thread, I've decided to create this one.

Reputation comments:
"and you are close-minded"
"you're 50 years behind your time"

Are you serious? Have you even seen the clip?

I can not be the only person who is disturbed by this. If I am, I promise you all I will schedule an appointment with my local doctor immediately...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
You are NOT the only one who dislikes the video. Read through the thread. I'm not really sure the point of this.

I defended Crock, but I am not defending you. Why? You have yet to produce any form of anything. Create an online sensation that entertains millions? I will be the first in line to defend you. Continue to complain about things that do not effect you? I will be the first in line to tell you that you are being a waste of space.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am not taking sides here but just answering your question. You to want to know why you got the Negative Rep. It's your first post in that thread. Your negative comments about him being gay. You will find that will get you in trouble on most forums.

Again, I am taking no sides either way, but that is the reason for the bad rep. in my opinion.

OP
V
Reaction score
I am not taking sides here but just answering your question. You to want to know why you got the Negative Rep. It's your first post in that thread. Your negative comments about him being gay. You will find that will get you in trouble on most forums.

Again, I am taking no sides either way, but that is the reason for the bad rep. in my opinion.

Let's put some perspective into this.

First up I admit, poor choice of words. Had I of foreseen the effects, I would have chosen more wisely.

In this context, "gay" was not intended to mean homosexual but rather a casual word describing abnormality.

Please forgive me if I have offended anyone and overstepped the etiquette of forum language, but also understand under the circumstances I felt it was the most appropriate word to describe the individual.

Let’s not be so formal all the time, surely when the occasion calls for it we should be able to express our raw feelings without having to face any consequences. It is a forum, not a business conference.

OP
V
Reaction score
You are NOT the only one who dislikes the video. Read through the thread. I'm not really sure the point of this.

I defended Crock, but I am not defending you. Why? You have yet to produce any form of anything. Create an online sensation that entertains millions? I will be the first in line to defend you. Continue to complain about things that do not effect you? I will be the first in line to tell you that you are being a waste of space.

banana man this i SWEAR to you:
-If you can quote a line showing i've made any form of complaint...
> i will bow down to you
> i will donate my MacBook to this forum
> i will personally wire you 13,109AUD from my account

Otherwise? Anything else you say is considered invalid.

Unless you can backup your statements with concrete, you are a waste of effort and hence a "waste of space".

M

MacHeadCase

Let me put this into perspective for you.

Why doesn't using the word gay as a derogatory term as abnormality ring a bell to you? It isn't better using it as targeting the gay community or using it in the way you describe it above.

It's cool with your crowd to use it the way you meant it? How about you making a change in this world?

And why not ask yourself this question: why that minority was targeted in the first place to mean what it now means...

Using that word the way you and some others use it, reflects either ignorance or poor judgement. Or worse.

OP
V
Reaction score
Now here is a person I can have a constructive conversation with.

Like I said before, poor choice of words and that has become more so clear to me now.

I agree with you, ignorant, poor judgement all valid. Which is why I will accept full responsibility.

That term has become a norm. Many of the people use the term so frequently, that we say it unconsciously without even thinking. If I am mistaken, feel free to correct me but it's time to face facts.

Here is where I disagree with you.

"How about you making a change in this world?"
"reflects either ignorance or poor judgement"

Unfortunately we live in a world called reality, so it's time to think realistically. We do not live in fairyland where unicorns roam freely and everything in life is "fair".

You cannot make a change in this world, or even have any kind of noticeable effect by not using this word. Your attempts will fail. Persistance will consume your life.

The glass is half full. If everyone thinks like this ya-da-ya-da-ya-da I've heard it all. Be realistic.

MacHead I have devoted my life into making a difference in this world. If you have any real ideas as to how I can achieve this, let me know. If your best idea is opposing the current of society's culture by not using a particular word, then that is not sufficient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
The glass is half full. If everyone thinks like this ya-da-ya-da-ya-da I've heard it all. Be realistic.

See, when I tell people this, get get all and whatnot.. People tell me I'm too negative and pessimistic.

I'm a realist, I take things for what they are, and not what I want them to be. I give you credit for saying this, because you're one of the very few people who actually see things in this perspective.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
You used the term 'gay' to mean 'abnormality'. Using those words as synonyms is disrespectful and wholly mean-spirited. You are right, simply not using that word will not change the entire world. But it WILL give a little more respect to a group of people who are in dire need of it. Ask any gay person whether it matters to them, and I can guarantee you will get an overwhelming yes. It is not hard to fight the 'norms' in your group. I've had to do the exact same thing, with the exact same word. But doing it will only make the world that much better.

I can not be the only person who is disturbed by this.
How is this not a complaint? Furthermore, you took the time to post a comment describing a video as an 'abnormality'. Considering you meant it as a pejorative, I think it could be classified as a complaint. In the least, you expressed your displeasure with the video. Once again, a complaint.

My argument still stands. You are wasting time complaining about something that does NOT affect you. Worse, you did it in an intolerant and offense way. You asked why you were called close-minded and behind your time. You got your answer and even apologized for it. What are you arguing?

OP
V
Reaction score
You used the term 'gay' to mean 'abnormality'. Using those words as synonyms is disrespectful and wholly mean-spirited. You are right, simply not using that word will not change the entire world. But it WILL give a little more respect to a group of people who are in dire need of it. Ask any gay person whether it matters to them, and I can guarantee you will get an overwhelming yes. It is not hard to fight the 'norms' in your group. I've had to do the exact same thing, with the exact same word. But doing it will only make the world that much better.

How is this not a complaint? Furthermore, you took the time to post a comment describing a video as an 'abnormality'. Considering you meant it as a pejorative, I think it could be classified as a complaint. In the least, you expressed your displeasure with the video. Once again, a complaint.

My argument still stands. You are wasting time complaining about something that does NOT affect you. Worse, you did it in an intolerant and offense way. You asked why you were called close-minded and behind your time. You got your answer and even apologized for it. What are you arguing?

13,109AUD and the best you have is a series of "I think", "How is this not", "In the least" and then concluding your paragraph as if you have made such a fine point by saying "Once again, a complaint"...

You say your argument stands and ask what am I arguing...

13,109AUD and this is the best you have for us.

Let me throw you a bone cheesy and ask you, what am I arguing??
Think twice before you answer this question, should you decide to answer it.

I'm actually quite disappointed really, had I of known your calibre to be so limited I would have staked both a house and the boyfriend living in it.

Until your posts begin to hold more weight, I am wasting my time responding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
See, when I tell people this, get get all and whatnot.. People tell me I'm too negative and pessimistic.

I'm a realist, I take things for what they are, and not what I want them to be. I give you credit for saying this, because you're one of the very few people who actually see things in this perspective.

I have to admit, I agree with both of you on this one.

Like I said before, poor choice of words and that has become more so clear to me now.

I agree with you, ignorant, poor judgement all valid. Which is why I will accept full responsibility.

That term has become a norm. Many of the people use the term so frequently, that we say it unconsciously without even thinking. If I am mistaken, feel free to correct me but it's time to face facts.

Unfortunately we live in a world called reality, so it's time to think realistically. We do not live in fairyland where unicorns roam freely and everything in life is "fair".

You cannot make a change in this world, or even have any kind of noticeable effect by not using this word. Your attempts will fail. Persistance will consume your life.

MacHead I have devoted my life into making a difference in this world. If you have any real ideas as to how I can achieve this, let me know. If your best idea is opposing the current of society's culture by not using a particular word, then that is not sufficient.

Again, I agree with you here. Like it or not, the world is what it is. I have to give you props for:

a) Taking responsibility and apologizing for what you wrote.

b) Understanding why it was wrong.

c) Being a realist. To many folks in the world want to blame someone else or pretend that life isn't like it is. The world is a hard place.

Props to you.

Bet I get negative Rep for this one.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Now here is a person I can have a constructive conversation with.

Hogwash.

I've listened to people tell me how bad the world is, how everything is getting worse, how they can't change the world, how their vote doesn't count. Name it, I've heard it.

I came from nothing. I went to a small public school and went to a state college. I've got a list of traits long enough to claim the title of victim. Instead they're opportunities and challenges.

Yes I've made real changes in the world that affect real people's lives. I don't worry about anonymity on this board or most others for that matter. My name's Graham Glover, but you'd know that if you visit my homepage. This is what I do and what I am.

http://www.mitrecaasd.org/comm/amr_atca_brfg.pdf

Look at page 12. I developed the tool that created the information in those images. My manager didn't want me to do it, but I did it anyway, some of it on my own time. My work helped open the skies over the US to allow aircraft to use more of the airspace, and do it safer. It's pretty cool when the VP/General Manager of a $100 million division personally asks for your direct technical support that he's going to use for presentation to the FAA Administrator. It's even cooler when that work results in real changes to how people fly. Airspace changes went into effect in early 2005. How cool is that?

That's just one little thing I've done.

I don't do victims.

Change the world or get out of the way of those of us who are changing the world because we're not stopping.

OP
V
Reaction score
Hogwash.

I've listened to people tell me how bad the world is, how everything is getting worse, how they can't change the world, how their vote doesn't count. Name it, I've heard it.

I came from nothing. I went to a small public school and went to a state college. I've got a list of traits long enough to claim the title of victim. Instead they're opportunities and challenges.

Yes I've made real changes in the world that affect real people's lives. I don't worry about anonymity on this board or most others for that matter. My name's Graham Glover, but you'd know that if you visit my homepage. This is what I do and what I am.

http://www.mitrecaasd.org/comm/amr_atca_brfg.pdf

Look at page 12. I developed the tool that created the information in those images. My manager didn't want me to do it, but I did it anyway, some of it on my own time. My work helped open the skies over the US to allow aircraft to use more of the airspace, and do it safer. It's pretty cool when the VP/General Manager of a $100 million division personally asks for your direct technical support that he's going to use for presentation to the FAA Administrator. It's even cooler when that work results in real changes to how people fly. Airspace changes went into effect in early 2005. How cool is that?

That's just one little thing I've done.

I don't do victims.

Change the world or get out of the way of those of us who are changing the world because we're not stopping.

One word: Respect.

During my earlier years, I applied to be a fighter pilot in the Australian Air Force.

Now my persuit trails in the footsteps of Google.

I'll release my name the day i've accomplished something worth mentioning, like yourself.

Well done keep it up, you are a role model to us all.
Unlike that retard Chris Crock. Notice how I didn't call him gay this time, or am I going to get in trouble for saying retard too. Offending the mental society perhaps?

Meh, it's a risk I am willing to take.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
This thread needs to be locked.

F

Fallooza

Inspired by the http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78094 thread, I've decided to create this one.

Reputation comments:
"and you are close-minded"
"you're 50 years behind your time"

I can not be the only person who is disturbed by this. If I am, I promise you all I will schedule an appointment with my local doctor immediately...
well i say "gay" just like you did. the members can neg rep and/or judge me for it all they want. its their choice and i couldnt care less. im certainly not goin ta go ta war about it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
13,109AUD and the best you have is a series of "I think", "How is this not", "In the least" and then concluding your paragraph as if you have made such a fine point by saying "Once again, a complaint"...

You say your argument stands and ask what am I arguing...

13,109AUD and this is the best you have for us.

Let me throw you a bone cheesy and ask you, what am I arguing??
Think twice before you answer this question, should you decide to answer it.

I'm actually quite disappointed really, had I of known your calibre to be so limited I would have staked both a house and the boyfriend living in it.

Until your posts begin to hold more weight, I am wasting my time responding.

Simply insulting both me and the syntax of my argument does not, by default, make you right. I can't argue with someone who does not address the points.

OP
V
Reaction score
Simply insulting both me and the syntax of my argument does not, by default, make you right. I can't argue with someone who does not address the points.

What am I right about, exactly?

Why are you arguing with me, I'm not arguing with you.

If there is a debate, I fail to see it.
Otherwise, what is the topic/point we are quarrelling over?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm going to lock this thread.

verbatim...read our forum rules. You have crossed over the line of the very first rule multiple times in this thread. They're very clear, feel free to PM me if something is confusing to you.

To be honest, your attempt to justify using the term "gay" in the manner you did absolutely disgusts me. Just because people do it, doesn't mean it should be the norm and it certainly doesn't make it right. If we followed your logic we'd still have slaves, be calling all African-American's the "N" word, women still wouldn't be allowed to vote, and you know, Hitler might never have been stopped because so many people in Germany voted for him to be their leader so it must be ok...

Now I'm locking this thread as it obviously has no point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.