Shutdown when on WinXP

waz

Reaction score
Hi all

My Macbook had bootcamp installed and with Win XP running on that partition.

My problem is that I get the occasional automatic shutdown when on WinXP.
Technically not the normal shutdown. It just switch off.
There could be times when I just leave it on WIn XP environment w/o touching anything, and it will still shut. I am not sure what is the cause. Has anyone had this experience?

When on MAC OSX, not such problem.

Reaction score
Are Bootcamp and XP both the most currant version? I could be wrong but do you need to install specific drivers for the MBP hardware?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.16 4gig 160GB
Hi all

My Macbook had bootcamp installed and with Win XP running on that partition.

My problem is that I get the occasional automatic shutdown when on WinXP.
Technically not the normal shutdown. It just switch off.
There could be times when I just leave it on WIn XP environment w/o touching anything, and it will still shut. I am not sure what is the cause. Has anyone had this experience?

When on MAC OSX, not such problem.

In WinXP goto control panel --> administrative tools -- Event viewer.
You should be able to see the error logs and diagnose the issue, or at least get an idea of what is causing the problem.

cheers

Paul

OP
W

waz

Reaction score
What is an MBP?

Hi What is an MBP?

I am currently narrowing the problem to the power option in the WinXP control panel. I was running (while on XP) with battery today w/o any issue. But few minute after I plug in the power adapter (due to low battery), the system knock off.

I have set the control option to NEVER off for both monitor and hard disk.
Will monitor the situation and see if it still does that.

Will report the outcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
("MBP" = Macbook Pro) Either way as rogair said, do you have the latest version bootcamp, and if you do did you update the drivers on the XP side?
...and what do you mean by "the occasional automatic shutdown"
does the screen on the computer just go dark and the computer is off, or does xp go through its usual shutdown sequence, or do you get a blue screen with white writing that appears a second before the computer turns off?
Hope you get this fixed

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
A lot of people make the mistake of not installing the Boot Camp Windows drivers after Windows XP is installed. You must install these drivers in order for Windows to run be fully functional - even if Windows appears to be running properly without them. The drivers are located on the CD you created during the Boot Camp install process. Insert the CD and allow it run through the driver installation process under Windows. Windows will warn you about the drivers being "unsigned" - that is OK and you should answer any prompts in the affirmative.

If your power management issues persist, make sure that "hibernation" and "standby" settings are set to "never" in the Power Options control panel under "while on AC power".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.