Who saw this coming?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Installing any third party app on the iphone negates the warranty. Any app, not just unlocking apps. This would include AppTapp.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/iphone/bring-a-bricked-iphone-to-the-genius-bar-and-talk-to-the-hand-video-304999.php?autoplay=true#c2511555

Thank god I found out about this today as I am heading to the Apple Store tomorrow to try to get a replacement sim tray. I restored my phone and you'll have to too if you need to get your phone repaired and you have ANY third party apps on it.

Apple is really shooting itself in the foot with this. Talk about a buzz kill. No third party apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Apple is really shooting itself in the foot with this. Talk about a buzz kill. No third party apps.

I did for one.

You can install whatever you want. If your intelligent enough to figure out how to do so, you should be intelligent enough to understand, and live with, the consequences of your actions. This, like life, is all about choices. You choose to do something the system wasn't designed/intended to do, therefore you choose to take on the responsibility for the results of that action. You may not want to accept that responsibility, but ultimately you do.

At least in this case you can simply restore the firmware and be back at square one. I'd say your lucky.

OP
Shannonb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did for one.

You can install whatever you want. If your intelligent enough to figure out how to do so, you should be intelligent enough to understand, and live with, the consequences of your actions. This, like life, is all about choices. You choose to do something the system wasn't designed/intended to do, therefore you choose to take on the responsibility for the results of that action. You may not want to accept that responsibility, but ultimately you do.

At least in this case you can simply restore the firmware and be back at square one. I'd say your lucky.

Yes but how is installing 3rd party apps on an iPhone hugely different from installing them on a macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I did for one.

I agree. It's like overclocking your CPU, then complaining to Intel when it dies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes but how is installing 3rd party apps on an iPhone hugely different from installing them on a macbook?

Because OSX comes with a developer kit provided by Apple so people can write software.

Since Apple has not opened up the iPhone, and there is no "Apple iPhone/iTouch developer kit" it's different. Without the tools from the design agent, anything you add increases the chances of the system not working properly or becoming damaged because of the users error or ignorance. Until such time as Apple provides developer kit, installing 3rd party apps should void the warranty.

It's their system and this was not a secret when you bought it. You chose to buy it knowing it's limitations. Suck it up and move on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I can't even guess how many postings I read where people asked about unlocking the phone and read a post where baggss said Apple was going to do an update that would disable the iPhone.
Spot on Baggss. Spot On!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
I find this veeerrry interesting... When I went to the genius bar at a local apple store in the seattle area, I had to have my iPhone replaced. The genius that helped me, had a wallpaper behind his springboard. I at this point hadnt read into hacking and thought it just meant unlocking.

I said, hey! how'd you get that wallpaper, he said "just go download apptap and then summerboard, it just uses the wallpaper from the unlock screen- it doesnt void the warranty or anything because it isnt that invasive"

that is a diiirect quote. (aside from the -'isnt that invasive' that was as shortend version of a longer conversation)

soo..... what now? I've been going to this apple store for years now and they have been extremely helpful and knowledgeble and wonderful... why would an apple employee- and a genius no less, use apptap if it voids the warranty? and tell me, and encourage me even to do so as well?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I remember when I was at the Apple store and asked a genius about installing apps on the iPhone and whether or not it was against the EULA or break the warranty. His response was, "Well, I guess not since our manager has already installed a bunch of apps on his phone." Then he told mme about the cool Nintendo game app he just installed on his own iPhone.

I think if Apple was going to take this stance, they should have done so sooner. They knew there was tons of this kind of downloading going on, and they should have made it clear throughout the company that it isn't condoned. But they didn't say a word until a couple days before they sent out the updater that would kill the apps and lock phones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are right. I think Apple waited on the EULA announcement to see what the hacking community did. I think they also waited to see what the big problems were with the firmware in the hands of the public. I still don't think they purposely broke the hacks, but that the hacks and shortcomings combine demonstrated problems with their firmware that required fixing and that were, obviously, fairly significant.

OP
Shannonb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't even guess how many postings I read where people asked about unlocking the phone and read a post where baggss said Apple was going to do an update that would disable the iPhone.
Spot on Baggss. Spot On!

This has nothign to do with that though. This isnt unlocking, just any third party app. Which I think is ridiculous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Without a developer kit released by Apple, those 3rd party Apps are "hacks" at best anyhow. All Apple has done is put users on notice that they are not going to be responsible for any damage or screw ups done by all the 3rd party "stuff" you choose to put on your iPhone.

If your not aware, the same is true for the iPod. The is no Developer kit for it, but there are 3rd party apps and hacks. If you want any service from Apple though, you better restore it to it's original condition.

Reaction score
This has nothign to do with that though. This isnt unlocking, just any third party app. Which I think is ridiculous.

Have you read the EULA for your device? You do know you have to follow the EULA weather or not you like it. Its kinda like speeding in your car. Your not supposed to do it, but yet you complain when you get busted speeding and get a ticket.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You're still messing around with Apple's software without concent, right?

OP
Shannonb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're still messing around with Apple's software without concent, right?

I understand that it is illegal , i just think it shouldnt be.

Typing this on my iphone btw. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand that it is illegal , i just think it shouldnt be.

Typing this on my iphone btw. :)

As am I. How does Apple know all the problems with are with the phone and not modded software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
so, i want to update my phone, and what can i do? uninstall the apps i have, and be prepared to lose the ringtones i made myself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good question.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
Good question.....

sarcasm?

im sorry if it seems dumb but i dont know what to expect, I'm scared!

I guess I should just wait.......eehh....:Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it really IS a good question. I'm not sure what would happen either. Everything I have read doesn't answer that question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
that sucks a lot. I agree if you try and claim to apple your phone has broken and that you have done nothing to it that you shouldnt have but the majoirty of ppl are just going to install the odd app here or there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.