Cancelled my iMac and iPod Touch for Zune and Dell

Reaction score
After wanting a Mac for a long time, firstly a MacBook but then when the new iMac came out I fell in love with it, I finally placed an order on September 13th for a 20” 2.4GHz iMac and also an iPod Touch (£85 off with BtS rebate). This morning I checked my order status and it was still on “not yet shipped” I phoned apple and got some story about that it has to come from china and it is normal to take a month from order to delivery dates, so I decided that I should cancel my order because I was sick of waiting and the apple support was no help,

After I had cancelled my order I placed an order for a Dell XPS210 and a Zune, at the time I thought it was the right decision and since both could be ready and delivered next week I was more then happy enough to order knowing I would finally have my own computer again, but when I arrived home from work this evening my 1GB stick of iMac RAM had arrived from crucial, this has now caused me to have a dilemma, I really want the iMac and iPod touch but I’m sick of waiting and having a substandard service from apple,

Also just to help with the situation my 250GB My Book Pro arrived this afternoon, which was obviously bought to match my Alu iMac and to be ready for leopard

So my options are:

Cancel the Dell and Zune and place another order with Apple for the iMac and iPod Touch?

Or

Keep the order I have placed for the Dell and Zune and return the RAM to crucial and the 250GB My Book Pro to Amazon?

/Ste

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
My opinion??? Easy... Get the iMac and iTouch...

Being irritated with the delay is one thing, but to cancel and "settle" (IMO) for the dell/Zune is.. well... "cut off your nose to spite your face" would be a huge understatement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
"Good things come to those who wait"

My wife has a Dell laptop I'm not very fond of and I know no one (and have yet to even see one in public) that has a Zune. The choice is yours but I'd wait for the Apple stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
You'd probably get the standard answer here. Personally, I would have waited for the iMac. Patience is a virtue ;D. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with your decision once the iMac arrives. You probably should have just hung up with the customer service rep and called back later. Macs are the hot thing going today, so delays are possible at this time.

In reference to the Dell, of course you may get it faster because, they are anxious to rebound from disappointing sales as of late and they are trying to regain their lost customer base. For examples, folks like myself. You couldn't "pay me" to take a Dell nowadays. Don't want my post to seem like Dell bashing, but my Mac is one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 GHz 2GB + iPod shuffle
Man, I know the feeling of waiting. My iMac took one month to be delivered. It was a pain in the *** to wait for it, but it was worth it. I had similar thoughts during that time. From now on, I'll order stuff from "internet stores" only if I can wait for them a long time, otherwise I'll just go and get them from real stores.

I think that internet stores are a great idea gone wrong. They should not be selling stuff they can't deliver (in reasonable time).

So Mac or a PC? It's really up to you, and your needs. Macs are great in many things, but PC's also have their place (mostly gaming purposes).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Your situation gave me a good car analogy. It's like giving up a Porsche and getting a Chevy because the Porsche dealership didn't have a model in yellow available right away. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
My opinion??? Easy... Get the iMac and iTouch...

Being irritated with the delay is one thing, but to cancel and "settle" (IMO) for the dell/Zune is.. well... "cut off your nose to spite your face" would be a huge understatement.

Absolutely. Do you want the iMac and Touch or not? If you want them, get them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM
The waiting will only make the arrival that much better! Think about it! Youll be excited the whole week leading up to delivery (atleast i was!) :D

Reaction score
I had to wait 4 weeks for my old 911 and 10 weeks for my M3. Waiting is well worth it.

Reaction score
Depends upon what is more important to you: 1) Quickly getting an inferior product or, 2) Patiently waiting to get a superior product. Which of the two is the most important?

Reaction score
I had to wait a while for my new (and first) Mac to arrive. It was well worth it. As the ads say "it just works". I hate using a Windows machine for my day job after working on the Mac. OSX is a thing of beauty!

I would switch your order back to the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
I had a similar wait problem after I ordered my iMac, but assure you, the wait is worth it.

In the words of Obi-Wan, "Patience! You must learn patience!"

Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
First of all, and predictably (this IS a Mac forum) I agree with the preponderance of above posters: the iMac and iPod are worth the wait. RIDE said it best - don't settle for the lesser product just because the product you REALLY want will take a few weeks to be developed.

However, my real point (because you've heard all of the above already) is that your siggy says your are in England, but you don't say where. I understand that there is a fairly widespread network of Apple Authorized Resellers in the UK, on many a High Street. I hope this isn't a silly question, but are you sure that there aren't any within reasonable distance of where you live? This might provide a "get it now" alternative if there is.

If such a vendor is a few hours away, perhaps it might be a good time to venture forth - rent a car if you have to ... it is worth it! I am not given to enormous patience; if there was a dealer within a reasonable drive of where I was, I would consider doing just that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blk MacBook 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD OS X & iPhone 4 32GB
I'm new here, but I just recently, in July, replaced a Dell Inspiron with a MacBook Black.

I had actually gotten my wife a while MacBook for her birthday. She had wanted one for some time, after trying them out at the store (not Apple). Well, I fell in love with it, so I ended up getting one of my own, just with more RAM and larger HD. Both MacBooks were purchased from the Apple store.

I do not regret my decision one bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The new iMac's are really difficult to get hold of at the moment... the touch hasn't even hit stores over here in germany yet afaik, so a slight delay is to be expected I suppose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 white book with some niffty icons
Well if any one knows about waiting for a mac it's me.
I had talked to my boss about buying it for me and working for it in November.
It was a nice warm sunny day in May when I got it.

I was stuck using an old 1.5 PC with some what reliable XP PRO for a few years.

Now I am happier then ever and learning new stuff every day.
As for the ipod. I don't have one or a need for so I can comment on that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Settling for a Dell and a Zune? It's your funeral, not mine.
Kidding aside, you might have to wait but will be happier with the iMac and iTouch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 15.4" Glossy, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD, Nvidia 8600GT 256MB
I was gonna get a Dell instead of the Macbook Pro good thing i read the reviews of the model i was originally going to get. Overall, i rkn the wait would be well worth it for the iMac and iTouch!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
Hi Stetwin, in my opinion your settling because you dont want to wait - it will be worth the wait to get the iMac!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
But getting a Zune?

Deary me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.