• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Well-rounded book list

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I wrote this for something else and I thought I would post it for anyone who is interested in literature.

For those who read or want to get into reading more, here are some suggestions that cover some really key areas.

Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson:
This is a book that will explain pretty much everything that you have ever wanted to know about the universe. I'm serious. It will change the way you look at everything. The best part? It is not dry at all. In fact, I couldn't stop reading it. I would find myself telling people the most absurd facts about the universe.

Sophie's World - Jostein Gaarder:
Whereas Short History of Nearly Everything tells you about the mechanics of the universe, Sophie's World gets into the philosophy of it all. Why are we here? What is the nature of human beings? Obviously it doesn't give you the answers, but it certainly gets you thinking about them. Sophie's World compliments Short History of Nearly Everything perfectly, giving you a short history of philosophy instead.

Atlas Shrugged/The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand:
How should the perfect human act? Rand will give you her ideas...and they are quite bold. They get you thinking about what YOU contribute to society. In fact, what IS your place in society? These are some issues Rand attempts to solve in her novels. You may not agree, but you will certainly understand.

Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - Murakami:
Too much realism? This is the best piece of art I have ever read. This book is hard to explain. People will pull different ideas from the book, based on their own experiences. This is really what makes the book so great. Perhaps this is what Murakami such a powerful writer.

Rouse Up O Young Men of the New Age! - Kenzaburo Oe:
This is not as surrealistic as Wind-Up Bird, but you can definitely tell how much Murakami was influenced by Oe. This story can be a little bit difficult to connect with, simply because so much Japanese culture is related in it. But the emotions are still there. And trust me, you will feel emotions.

House of Leaves - Mark Danielewski:
This is an amazing book, both in style and content. Be prepared for one of the most unique reading experiences of your life. It gave me nightmares (I'm not kidding).

Catch-22 - Joseph Heller:
This book is hilarious...in a subtle, satiric way. However, it will still give you a feeling of hopelessness, both about war and the human race.

Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut:
Vonnegut can always be counted on to provide some good social commentary. This is arguably his strongest. His style is almost absurd...if it wasn't so powerful. You can taste the bitterness in his writings, but that is surprisingly what makes him so enjoyable to read. Slaughterhouse-Five is considered by many to be his best...but any of his books will do.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i far preferred vonnegut's cat's cradle. though if we could go with collections, welcome to the monkey house is the only book anyone would ever need.

and where's are you there god, it's me margret?

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
i far preferred vonnegut's cat's cradle. though if we could go with collections, welcome to the monkey house is the only book anyone would ever need.

and where's are you there god, it's me margret?

Ah! I forgot that one!

Cat's Cradle was very good. I think that was the first Vonnegut I had ever read. Sirens of the Titan is probably my favorite. I put Slaughterhouse-Five because of how powerful it is. But that is just me :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I like the First North American Series(AKA The People Books) by Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear. I also like Deception Point, Digital Fortress, Angels & Demons, and The Da Vinci Code all by Dan Brown. Another book I am looking forward to reading is The Genesis Code by Christopher Forrest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
Fatherland by Robert Harris is superb. Excellent style and so descriptive you can practically smell, hear and taste every aspect of the story.

The man who mistook his wife for a hat by Oliver Sacks is a fascinating book. He's a psychologist and the book documents some of his case studies. They are truely incredible. It's fascinating and upsetting at the same time and reminds you how lucky you are to have your health!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
"White Noise" by Don Delillo is a book I read in a college lit class. It gives a nice view of our hyper-mediated society and how much we depend on and believe in what we hear and see on television, radio and internet. This book actually pre-dates widespread internet use, but the theme is easily applied to it. And, no, it has nothing to do with the sci-fi movie from a few years ago!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
has anyone read House of Leaves by mark z. danielewski?

its extremely fascinating but even with my strange brain it is hard to read, or grasp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I wish I had more time to read. :(

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
has anyone read House of Leaves by mark z. danielewski?

its extremely fascinating but even with my strange brain it is hard to read, or grasp.

Ha! You should read the original post :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
For anyone who likes non-fiction might I suggest Why People Believe Weird Things by Michael Shermer. It will make you question your perceptions and change the way you look at extraordinary claims.

Oh, and cheesybanana, Shermer is a libertarian much like you and me. Which is one of the reasons why I have a quote of his in my sig.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
I wrote this for something else and I thought I would post it for anyone who is interested in literature.

For those who read or want to get into reading more, here are some suggestions that cover some really key areas.

Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson:
This is a book that will explain pretty much everything that you have ever wanted to know about the universe. I'm serious. It will change the way you look at everything. The best part? It is not dry at all. In fact, I couldn't stop reading it. I would find myself telling people the most absurd facts about the universe.
I have the illustrated special edition version. That is a great book!

I agree, the following classic's are great books.
Catch-22 - Joseph Heller:
This book is hilarious...in a subtle, satiric way. However, it will still give you a feeling of hopelessness, both about war and the human race.

Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut:
Vonnegut can always be counted on to provide some good social commentary. This is arguably his strongest. His style is almost absurd...if it wasn't so powerful. You can taste the bitterness in his writings, but that is surprisingly what makes him so enjoyable to read. Slaughterhouse-Five is considered by many to be his best...but any of his books will do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
one book that seams to be like the other ones on the list that I really enjoyed was "freakonomics" you may enjoy that one too.

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
For anyone who likes non-fiction might I suggest Why People Believe Weird Things by Michael Shermer. It will make you question your perceptions and change the way you look at extraordinary claims.

Oh, and cheesybanana, Shermer is a libertarian much like you and me. Which is one of the reasons why I have a quote of his in my sig.

I will absolutely check it out! Thanks.

one book that seams to be like the other ones on the list that I really enjoyed was "freakonomics" you may enjoy that one too.

I've read it. The abortion model is quite popular in Economics class. It really is a great book :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Exactly! Oddly enough I should have added Freakonomics my favorite book of late, to the mix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i quite loved the running with scissors, and the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

i looked 'a short history of nearly everything' and i must say... i really must read that book! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I really liked State of Fear by : Michael Crichton. I like most of Michaels books. It takes me forever to read a book, because I start so many at once.

I think I'm currently reading 8 - 9 books at once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since we're on a Mac forum, I thought I would recommend iWoz. I found the autobiography of Apple founder Steve Wozniak a great read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I will absolutely check it out! Thanks.

Since you're an Econ major like I am, you may enjoy his speech on Evolutionary Economics on Youtube. It's basically a Powerpoint lecture, so I wouldn't recommend it to people who didn't enjoy Econ lectures. But it is interesting stuff. He's coming out in December with a book called "The Mind of The Market: Compassionate Apes, Competitive Humans, and Other Tales in Evolutionary Economics." I'm looking forward to it so much. Shermer is basically my hero.

I really liked State of Fear by : Michael Crichton. I like most of Michaels books. It takes me forever to read a book, because I start so many at once.

I think I'm currently reading 8 - 9 books at once.

Hear, Hear! I've read Jurassic Park (My Favorite), State of Fear, Timeline, and The Lost World. I've just resumed reading The Andromeda Strain. I love his books.

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Since you're an Econ major like I am, you may enjoy his speech on Evolutionary Economics on Youtube. It's basically a Powerpoint lecture, so I wouldn't recommend it to people who didn't enjoy Econ lectures. But it is interesting stuff. He's coming out in December with a book called "The Mind of The Market: Compassionate Apes, Competitive Humans, and Other Tales in Evolutionary Economics." I'm looking forward to it so much. Shermer is basically my hero.

Too long to listen to now, but I have it saved to watch tomorrow. Once again, thanks! I will let you know what I think about it :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too long to listen to now, but I have it saved to watch tomorrow. Once again, thanks! I will let you know what I think about it :p

Yeah, it's four parts and about forty minutes long, so pretty much treat it as you would a class. You'll recognize Shermer right away too, he's the token skeptic on A TON of shows on the paranormal.

Yes, be sure to let me know what you think of it.

EDIT: Tell me this description from Amazon.com doesn't make you want to buy this book:

How did we make the leap from ancient hunter-gatherers to modern consumers and traders? Why do people get so emotional and irrational about bottom-line financial and business decisions? Is the capitalist marketplace a sort of Darwinian organism, evolved through natural selection as the fittest way to satisfy our needs? In this eye-opening exploration, author and psychologist Michael Shermer uncovers the evolutionary roots of our economic behavior.

Drawing on the new field of neuroeconomics, Shermer investigates what brain scans reveal about bargaining, snap purchases, and establishing trust in business. He scrutinizes experiments in behavioral economics to understand why people hang on to losing stocks, why negotiations disintegrate into disputes, and why money does not make us happy. He brings together astonishing findings from psychology, biology, and other sciences to describe how our tribal ancestry makes us suckers for brands, why researchers believe cooperation unleashes biochemicals similar to those released during sex, why free trade promises to build alliances between nations, and how even capuchin monkeys get indignant if they don’t get a fair reward for their work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.