Bootcamp booting issue

Reaction score
So I followed the steps, created a new partition, inserted my copy of XP SP2, the MacBook restarted on its own and now it says "No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key". Currently pushing any key does nothing, and restarting brings me back to the same screen. The XP CD was also spit out so I figured I might have been able to boot off the Mac CD... no avail. Its now in there and its not coming out. ffs... any help?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So I followed the steps, created a new partition, inserted my copy of XP SP2, the MacBook restarted on its own and now it says "No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key". Currently pushing any key does nothing, and restarting brings me back to the same screen. The XP CD was also spit out so I figured I might have been able to boot off the Mac CD... no avail. Its now in there and its not coming out. ffs... any help?

Apparently, your Mac is having difficulty reading your XP CD. Keep in mind that it must be an SP2-integrated disc. It must be bootable too (sometimes copies are NOT bootable, if they were made incorrectly). To eject the disc, start with the Mac turned off and then turn it on, while holding the mouse button until it ejects.

If all else fails, start the Mac while holding the Option key. That should allow you to choose to boot into Mac OS X. Once that's done, change your Startup Disk in the System Preferences until you get your issue sorted out with your XP disc (or with your optical drive, if that turns out to be the problem).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.