Waiting for my iBook

N

natomui

I just ordered, by the good graces of educational discounts, my first Apple Computer.

A G4, 1 Ghz, Combo Drive, iBook, with an Airport Extreme Card.

I'm crazy with anticipation - it should get here in 6-10 days!

I can't wait that long!! :) :D :) :D

Any good tips for when I get it? I'm immediately loading Darwine, but that's all I've got so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Unless you wanna be a Unix terminal for cron task you may wanna get Mac janitor from Versiontracker

OP
C

Cloudane

Congrats! You will love it :D

Important tips:
Consider OnyX - another MacJanitor alternative (sorry I lost the link, google should work) - one of the two is recommended
Get a security lock such as a Kensington (if you take it to work etc, suggesting because my 2-week-old Powerbook was stolen on Friday)
Maybe grab a book to learn about the OS you're about to use. Apparently, OSX A Missing Manual is a good one.

OP
M

MoltenLava

Congrats. I've got a 800MHz iBook with similar spec. It's a great computer, you'll love it. Onyx is a great tool. Highly recommended. Don't forget to calibrate the battery. It's best if you calibrate the first day. As for accessories, you might want to get a matching iPod. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Were are you guys? United States? Wow!!! 6-10days for delivery, is this standard? Thought you guy be getting the 24-48 hour by now, I know that's what i got in the UK. Here, were I am now... 48 hours is too long, it's like a tiny island.

Well. Welcome to the Mac community! Hope you have a great experience with your new platform. Got any questions just post in this forum some where or IM someone with iChat. Just make sure they know who you are. Congrats. :D

OP
N

natomui

it's here and I love it!!

I'm a writer for a how-to article on lockergnome.com - to help me learn about my new os, the best way might be to answer questions about

if anyone has any questions relating to macs, please ask them here, it will definitely help me with content.

OP
M

Matt

!!!Congrats!!!

I have a question, I am also a newbie, I use mine as a second computer (it's too old to be used too often).

I'm ashamed to ask this but, how do you right click

OP
P

pedrothekevin

You hold down control and click. It's equivalent. After you get used to it, it's like second nature.

OP
N

natomui

hey, I've only had this thing for 3 days, but I have 2 issues

1) the battery life is inconsistent from one charge to the next - sometimes I can get 5 hours, sometimes can only get 2:30

2) whenever I open the computer up, there's a small popping noise in the hinge of the screen which worries me to death

any thoughts on either of these?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
1.) Have you calibrated your battery?

2.) My suggestion is to call Apple...Because that sounds like a physical problem...(hardware related)

OP
N

natomui

yes, I've calibrated my battery, and yes, I'm planning to call apple :)

still have those weird battery moments though
even though it's calibrated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, I have the exact same ibook, it's cool eh?

1)If calibrating doesn't solve it, remember that if you're running wifi, have the speakers on and the brightness turned all the way up, the battery won't last as long!

Does the battery life differ even when running the same tasks?

But mine sometimes says 2,5 hours left and then stays like that for 1/2 an hour... so just see what you actually get...

OP
N

natomui

hmm...well, on the battery end - I can always get another battery

but I'm taking it to the apple store to look at this hinge issue today, I hope they have some words of advice other than

"you abused it" which I didn't - I couldn't have, I've only had it for 4 days

and these things are supposed to be super rugged :)-P) so, I'll see what they say

OP
P

pcjabber

Apple is generally very good about these things. Sometimes the Geniuses can replace them right on-spot, free. I have an out-of-warranty iBook G3 700, and a key (and its spring-like thing beneath it) broke on my keyboard, and the Genius replaced it for me for free.

--PCjabber

OP
N

natomui

well, apparently the battery thing was cured by just calibrating it twice more -

I now get 5-7 hours instead of 2-4

HEY! and I think that's awesome :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.