Ubuntu 7.04 on iBook (clamshell)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 300MHz 288mb RAM Mac OS X (Panther), iMac G3 500MHz (Panther), iMac G3 350MHz (Tiger), iPod
So, I just received my Feisty Fawn Disc in the mail today; now the big question is how to install it? I got the PC version, did I mess up or does this work with mac's too...?

thanks in advance!
iMacKid500

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
Yeah, you should have gotten the PowerPC version. The one you ordered is for Intel x86 architechtures (though if you have a standard non-Mac computer in your house give it a shot on that; that's what I use 85% of the time on my other computers). As of 7.04, the PowerPC is no longer under official development but is still community supported. You can get it here:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/feisty/release/

I would recommend though since you are using an older system to try Xubuntu. It is the same thing just with a lighter weight XFCE desktop environment. I used to run it on a 450mhz K6-III setup with 192mb of RAM and it did the job. You can get that here:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/ports/releases/feisty/release/

When you get the ISO, burn the image to disk using Disk Utility (if you're on OS X) or any other program that writes images. Just make sure you have at least 192-256mb of RAM and at least a 4-5 GB hard drive (and a decent working CDROM... they really can get on your nerves if they are acting up while installing an operating system). If you have less RAM than above or if the LiveCD gives you issues, use the alternate CD and install in text mode (looks kind of like the WinXP installer). If you need help installing, check out the Mac PPC section of www.ubuntuforums.org Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.