Vista Performance on Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a microsoft .NET developer who is planning to buy a macbook pro this october when leopard comes out. And I would also like to install Vista using bootcamp. Can you please help me with the performance issues for running Vista on a Mac (heat , speed etc)?

I would use my mac for all my daily computer needs and as there is no option I have to use Vista for my .NET developement.

Thanks a lot,
Vin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
It makes my MBP run hot...REEAAALLLY hot! Both fans run considerably faster than they do with similar opperations in OSX. But it is hands down the fastest experience ive ever had on vista!! IMO, its faster than OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I run Vista on mine sometimes and it seems to run fine. The fans run faster, but I don't know if that's due to heat or not. When I start up in Vista the fans seem to run more even if the computer isn't hot at the moment, so that may be one small issues, but better more air than not enough in my book. IT probably does make it run a little hotter because Vista takes more resources to run than OS X, but that would be the case for any laptop running Vista.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. It always helps. I would try to install XP Pro first rather than going for Vista!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
XP on any system would be faster, so unless you really need the features that only Vista has like DX10 or what not, then go for it. Just a word of warning though, you may find yourself asking "what the heck is my computer doing?" when you hear the hard drive thrashing away for five minutes when nothing is open, and "why does this use 750mb of RAM at boot?" I found myself asking that quite a bit when I ran had Vista. They were a rough two days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro
I agree with JerrfyLube in that the MBP gets very hot when running Vista. You hear the fans a lot more on that side. That said, Vista runs very smoothly in bootcamp. I was very happy with it, being just a recent new Mac owner (I was afraid of letting go of Windows completely).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz Core2 Duo, 2Gb RAM, ATi Mobility Radeon X1600 256Mb
I've been running Vista on my MacBook Pro for around a couple of months now and have not had any issues at all. It's as quiet as ever and very fast with very little resource usage. Based on my experiences I think you'll be more than happy with it :)

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your replies. I have decided to stick with XP pro on MBP with bootcamp.

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your replies. I have decided to stick with XP pro on MBP with bootcamp.

Smart choice. Vista gives a lot of people lots of different problems even on a regular PC, XP on the other hand seems to run just fine on either system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.