• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Amazon announces MP3 service

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just blew $50 there myself.
Picked up a couple of albums I've been wanting and a) too lazy to get the CD or b) refuse to pay for DRM'd music.
Also, picked up a couple I hadn't seen online, ex. Mississippi Fred Mcdowell's 'I Do Not Play No Rock N Roll' - great album by the way for any of you other blues lovers out there and the '95 remaster is 2 disks vs the original album which was only a single LP.

The Mac app is small - once the downloads start, they're pretty quick - automatically puts them into iTunes - did have to change the save file location in the app since I use an external drive for my itunes folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Competition is good. I look forward to seeing what this will prompt Apple to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
We'll see. iTunes is so dominant because it is so easy to use. I'm wondering if Amazon's is as easy (it sounds like it).

And I agree...competition is very, very good.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
They're pretty easy - especially if you're set up for one click purchase on Amazon.

Click purchase - opens a dialog box and click open - couple of minutes later it's in your iTunes library.

Also, automatically adds the album art.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
They're pretty easy - especially if you're set up for one click purchase on Amazon.

Click purchase - opens a dialog box and click open - couple of minutes later it's in your iTunes library.

Sounds like Apple has some work to do...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree. Apple have to really work hard to keep their service the top dog out there. And I really hope they notice this and work on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I just used the Amazon service. 89 cents, 256kbps MP3. Had to download a small "helper" application, but the resulting file was added automatically to my iTunes library.

Song sounds fine.
[EDIT: Song info picture]

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I just used the Amazon service. 89 cents, 256kbps MP3. Had to download a small "helper" application, but the resulting file was added automatically to my iTunes library.

That's what I love about the service. It's actually practical and offers a legitimate alternative to the iTunes Music Store, unlike the other services offered by companies such as Napster and Microsoft.

The best part is that this is a great offer for those who wish to go legit with their collections.

Like you said, competition is good :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
An added bonus, I have found some songs selling individually that were "album only" in iTunes. That always drove me crazy! Same recording, same album.

So, all their songs are DRM-free?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.