if a program crashes...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
If im running a program and it locks up, is there any sort of eqivalent to the windows ctrl+alt+del?

I just had a problem with firefox and i had to restart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
+option+esc

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
Where is the square and option key?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
It's Command+Option+Esc.

It's the "Force Quit" keyboard shortcut.
It will bring up a small window where you can choose which running application you would like to force quit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
Command is the Apple key. For some unknown reason, everyone refers to it as "Command" even though the word is nowhere on the key of any Mac keyboard I have never used. You're automatically supposed to know what the Command button is. The Option key is obviously right next to it. I have no idea where the square key would be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Command is the Apple key. For some unknown reason, everyone refers to it as "Command" even though the word is nowhere on the key of any Mac keyboard I have never used. You're automatically supposed to know what the Command button is. The Option key is obviously right next to it. I have no idea where the square key would be.
At least on US English keyboards, the Command key is now labelled with both the word "command" and the symbol which is used to designate it in the menus.

Many third-party keyboards, as well as old (and current) Apple keyboards, do not have an open-Apple symbol on this key.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The new Aluminum Apple Keyboard does not even have the Apple Symbol!

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
That's crazy. All Apple keyboards I have had have the Apple and no command word. I guess the only thing in common between them all is the little squiggly symbol that one cannot easily describe. Those new thin keyboards scare me. For some reason they tried to get fancy and it doesn't do what keyboards should do, like type in single user mode, etc. A button is a button, not sure how they messed that up.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Mine does everything a keyboard should do. I can type faster and more accurate on it than my White Apple one that came with my iMac. Keyboards are a personal thing but I know many who have tried this new Apple keyboard and went out and bought it afterwards. That is what I did and don't regret it at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
If you can't remember the key combo then you can simply right click on the suspect application in the dock and click Force Quit. I still can't remember and I am 100% Mac now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.