Firewire-only for guitar?

Reaction score
Howdy,

Well, I just went out and bought myself an iMac, in large part because of Garageband. Now I find that when I plug my guitar into the audio-in port using a 1/4-inch adaptor, I get nothing: no sound, no response. I used the same guitar and cables with my old Audacity recorded and it worked fine, so I'm left wondering whether FireWire is the only way to record guitar.

Is there something I'm missing? I went to the System Preferences menu and set it to "line-in" - still nothing. Yes, I checked to see that my guitar volume knobs were set to high.

What's up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Howdy,

Well, I just went out and bought myself an iMac, in large part because of Garageband. Now I find that when I plug my guitar into the audio-in port using a 1/4-inch adaptor, I get nothing: no sound, no response. I used the same guitar and cables with my old Audacity recorded and it worked fine, so I'm left wondering whether FireWire is the only way to record guitar.

Is there something I'm missing? I went to the System Preferences menu and set it to "line-in" - still nothing. Yes, I checked to see that my guitar volume knobs were set to high.

What's up?

Well, if it's an electric, it doesn't put out a signal, it needs an amplifier or some other power source if it doesn't have an active pickup

OP
P
Reaction score
It's a Fender strat, so no... it doesn't have active pickups. However, it worked fine with Audacity, and I wasn't using any external power source.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Probably on your old PC you was using the Mic input which has its own built in preamp allowing the signal to be amplified enough so software can record it.

Simple soloution(s)

Run a cable from your amp into the mac (MAKING SURE its line out and not speaker out)

Buy a small Input interface (Toneport UX1 or UX2) and run your guitar into that.

That should help a bit :)

~~ TS ~~

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Before I shell out 100 bucks for the Toneport, though, I want to find out exactly what's wrong - I'm getting nothing, zero, zip, in terms of sound from the Fender, while a friend of mine with an iBook and Garageband was recording things fine directly from a cable from his own Fender (no active pickups).

So I'm suspicious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Well, also make sure Garageband is using the line-in as the input source. By default it is "internal microphone". Then you got to make a new track with "Real instrument" and then put the monitor to ON.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67ghz powerbook G4, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD.
Yeah, try what goobimama said. From the dock: System Pref > Sound

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Thanks for the advice. Before I shell out 100 bucks for the Toneport, though, I want to find out exactly what's wrong - I'm getting nothing, zero, zip, in terms of sound from the Fender, while a friend of mine with an iBook and Garageband was recording things fine directly from a cable from his own Fender (no active pickups).

So I'm suspicious.
That'd be quite a trick: The iBook didn't have a Mic or a line-in :)

Basically a line-in port expects a powered signal, a Mic-in port will accept unpowered signals as well.

You could just grab something like griffin's iMic (around $40) and use that, but the results will probably better with something like the toneport. I'd make sure that's it's compatible with Garageband though (need 44.1 Khz inputs afaik).

If you want to make sure it's not a software issue, give audacity a spin on your Mac:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone
you can also put a mic up to your guitar, one that requires power or one that doesnt, and actually get a better, warmer sound. as long as your mic isn't junk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.