• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My first website

Reaction score
this is my first website, have a look and let me know wat u fink

http://web.mac.com/danrichardson08/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

it needs more addin to it.

i wanna make a website about something but duno wat so if anyone got some idea's let me know.

also if u have a website can u post me the link to it so i can see wat everyone else has done so i can get some ideas for mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I feel bad saying this, but your fonts are bad, colours are bad and mismatched. Look around on the internet and make it look more tight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
NExt time...web design section

That out of the way, it's bad...real bad.

Not that it can't be fixed. Proper English on the forums usually goes a long way as well.

A website requires a bit more than throwing things together. It's almost like homework. You really need to sit down and map out what you want to do with your site. You need the idea for the content first of all. If you're going to do your website on beans, you need to know that you're going to do that from the start or by the time that you get the site together and then come up with an idea, you're either going to have a really pieced together and clumsy site or you're going to have to tear everything down and start over.

Large moving graphics suck. Flashing things suck. Colors that clash suck.

You want to make it as pleasing to the eye as possible and as easy to navigate as possible. If some one sees your site and they don't like the colors, they leave. It's that simple. It probably takes the average person about 5-10 seconds to make up thier mind whether they want to read what's there or hit the large red 'X' in the corner of the Safari browser.

So, my recommendation is to think of an idea first, then sit down with paper and literally draw out your site and what you want to do with it. It'll help tremendously with the layout. Then when you're done, start thinking of an overall design theme and colors that you want to go with that don't clash and aren' bad on the eye.

hint: Neon green and brown do not match :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
I agree.... I have been doing websites for a longtime... One thing I have learned is technical skill is not enough, you need alot of design to make a website pleaseing to the eye...
Go look at other sites research a little more then try it again, also I recommend style sheets, and stick with 2 basic fonts especially on the body copy... hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 24" Core 2 Duo 4gb RAM
it's flat, add some dimension to it (shadows on the font etc.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This poor guiy is going to quit web design after this..... LOL

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments i have took them and going to try and sort out my website.

Where can i get new and better backgrounds ?
i still need to get use to everything as im still new to this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the comments i have took them and going to try and sort out my website.

Where can i get new and better backgrounds ?
i still need to get use to everything as im still new to this

Here are some reference sites...

Get this CD to build your design skills
http://www.photoshoptopsecret.com/

If you wanna play with flash
flashkit.com

For Java Sources
Javascript.com

As far as backgrounds create your own in dreamweaver..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.