Transferring files..

K

kpc655

I bit the bullet 2 weekends ago and picked up a macbook pro. i'm slowly migrating over but i've noticed a reoccuring problem with copying files over. After 11hrs of copying i woke up this morning to a number of empty folders on the mac...i dragged my entire Mp3 file over but some of the subfolders appear to have been moved without content. from the size the files appear to be there..i just cant see them. anyone have experience with this? are they hidden? is there prehaps some kind of DRM thing when i copied from one computer to the other??

Other than that no issues...it's great!!! I was disappointed with quicken for mac..so i may run it with windows via bootcamp or parallels. any opinions on which is better...bootcamp or parallels??

thanks!

Reaction score
Empty folders shouldn't happen... how are you migrating the files? Firewire, ethernet? As far as BootCamp and Parallels, it depends on what you want. BootCamp requires you to reboot, but it is faster because it is running directly off the logic board. Parallels can be more convenient because it allows you to switch without rebooting. But it is slower as it is running under OS X, not directly from the mobo. If you only want Quicken, I would go Parallels, your mileage may vary!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Parallels is good enough, but you might need to pump up the RAM to run mac apps along with parallels...2GB is good, but the more the merrier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
To determine if the files are there but hidden, there are a number of options. The easiest one is to start up Terminal.app, navigate to folder of interest via "cd" (change directory) commands and then issue this command:

Code:
ls -a

This lists out all files, hidden or not. It is not clear to me how the files might have become hidden, but if you see them in the above listing, you know that they are at least there.

OP
K

kpc655

well, i wound up just deleting and starting over...second time was a charm!

one quick question about parallels though..i want to able to also run other virtual desktops with the mac osx, will parallels do that as well? is that the best option??

thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.