• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New Mac VS PC VS LINUX add

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Hey those aren't too shabby - thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 15.4" Glossy, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD, Nvidia 8600GT 256MB
Haha always good for a laugh ^_^

I like the second vid from the top :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Excellent, really nice! I quite enjoyed those.

As someone who uses Linux regularly though, I have to take exception to the implied (and pretty much directly stated) message that Linux is "ready for prime time". My personal view is that it is not. There may be exceptions - Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu come darn close to just working all the time (like a Mac), but some things just remain ridiculously difficult to accomplish on Linux, whereas they are "dead easy" on Macs and even PCs.

Try adding a new external ext2/3 or reiserfs USB2.0 or Firewire hard drive to your system and get the file permissions and ownerships right so that you (the ordinary user vs. the super user) can create and delete directories, add and subtract files, etc. Try getting a Zip 250 drive to work so that you can access it properly, or even at all, when you plug it in - "special device hdb4 doesn't exist", anybody? Or how about my favorite - lord forbid that the original setup doesn't detect and configure your sound card correctly. You end up Alsa-h e l l, trying to get the thing going. On at least one occassion, even I gave up and went out and got a more "vanilla" sound card, even though my existing card was fully supported. And of course I haven't even mentioned having to mess with things like xorg.conf just to get your display working the way it should.

NONE of these things are killers - if you know what you are doing they are all eventually easy to overcome (for the most part). But NONE of them is "dead easy" or even close, and ALL of them are things the average user will likely do in their time with the OS. Linux needs to get easier to use before mass adoption becomes a real option IMHO.

Last but not least, Linux needs to get some real marketing power behind it. How often have you heard that Linux is not a real option because there isn't the same software base available for it that there is for Windows or Mac? This is baloney. The absolute INVERSE is true. The average Linux distro comes with anywhere from 1000 to 5000 software apps, all available, integrated and COMPLETELY free. I would argue that Linux is BETTER in this regard than Windows/Mac. Free is good!!

So, in summary, too difficult for the average non technical user yet, and very poorly marketed. These challenges can be overcome, but Linux is not there yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I believe this picture has a more accurate depiction of who Linux would be:

l_f7a04771fb78e8e5fa7749b8c9afaf51.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Much as I hate to agree, I have to agree!! Just missing the tape on the glasses! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM
Interesting, i had no idea Linux was pronounced like that, lol!

Reaction score

As someone who uses Linux regularly though, I have to take exception to the implied (and pretty much directly stated) message that Linux is "ready for prime time".............

Don't you feel that depends upon the needs of the user? If the person does not have a lot of hardware to attach and basically uses their computer for light word processing, surfing the net, email, etc, some linux is perfect for this. A distro like Linspire for example installs in less then 10 minutes and will meet all your basic needs. I feel if I would go into to any "old" persons house, replace their windoze system with a user-friendly linux they would not even know the difference. Let's face it - how many people even install Windoze?? Most don't it comes with their system. I do agree though: Mac is the ultimate - which is why I am here and not still with Linux.

OP
WakeCarver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

As someone who uses Linux regularly though, I have to take exception to the implied (and pretty much directly stated) message that Linux is "ready for prime time". My personal view is that it is not. There may be exceptions - Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu come darn close to just working all the time (like a Mac), but some things just remain ridiculously difficult to accomplish on Linux, whereas they are "dead easy" on Macs and even PCs.

Try adding a new external ext2/3 or reiserfs USB2.0 or Firewire hard drive to your system and get the file permissions and ownerships right so that you (the ordinary user vs. the super user) can create and delete directories, add and subtract files, etc. Try getting a Zip 250 drive to work so that you can access it properly, or even at all, when you plug it in - "special device hdb4 doesn't exist", anybody? Or how about my favorite - lord forbid that the original setup doesn't detect and configure your sound card correctly. You end up Alsa-h e l l, trying to get the thing going. On at least one occassion, even I gave up and went out and got a more "vanilla" sound card, even though my existing card was fully supported. And of course I haven't even mentioned having to mess with things like xorg.conf just to get your display working the way it should.

NONE of these things are killers - if you know what you are doing they are all eventually easy to overcome (for the most part). But NONE of them is "dead easy" or even close, and ALL of them are things the average user will likely do in their time with the OS. Linux needs to get easier to use before mass adoption becomes a real option IMHO.

Last but not least, Linux needs to get some real marketing power behind it. How often have you heard that Linux is not a real option because there isn't the same software base available for it that there is for Windows or Mac? This is baloney. The absolute INVERSE is true. The average Linux distro comes with anywhere from 1000 to 5000 software apps, all available, integrated and COMPLETELY free. I would argue that Linux is BETTER in this regard than Windows/Mac. Free is good!!

So, in summary, too difficult for the average non technical user yet, and very poorly marketed. These challenges can be overcome, but Linux is not there yet.

Linux definitely fails the "could my Grandma do it" test.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't you feel that depends upon the needs of the user? If the person does not have a lot of hardware to attach and basically uses their computer for light word processing, surfing the net, email, etc, some linux is perfect for this. A distro like Linspire for example installs in less then 10 minutes and will meet all your basic needs. I feel if I would go into to any "old" persons house, replace their windoze system with a user-friendly linux they would not even know the difference. Let's face it - how many people even install Windoze?? Most don't it comes with their system. I do agree though: Mac is the ultimate - which is why I am here and not still with Linux.

You are right of course PapaNoHair. A *preconfigured*, *preinstalled* Linux system will meet many people's basic needs, and the pre-install/configure part takes care of many of the issues I brought up. As for the rest, if basic use is all folks want, then Linux will do fine.

In addition, Linux will also do fine in any managed environment, where there is a Linux knowledgeable person or two around. For example, it is perfect for a corporate environment that has a full IT support staff people can ask questions to. However, unlike Windows, you can't just leave the average home user to themselves and expect things to work as automatically as they do on Windows or Mac. The first time the user steps outside of the preconfigured "sandbox", they will likely run into trouble. If they have a guru around, there will be no issues. If they are on their own however, they may have a real problem!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.