How do I move a VMWare Virtual Machine/Drive

Reaction score
I just switched from Parallels 3.0 to VMWare Fusion. I like VMWare much more but with Parallels when I created a Virtual Machine I could choose a location. It would default to a location but in this case when I created a Windows XP machine it automatically put it in my Documents folder. I don't like this because nightly I have Chronosync sync my Documents folder to a Base Station drive. That would add a lot of data nightly. I have gone through settings but have found no way of moving my virtual drive. I know I can physically but then VMWare won't find it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
I used to use Fusion though beta 4 (when it stopped being free... sigh) and I also liked it a lot, but from my experience with the Linux version of VMware server, I believe you either have to set the directory when you create the machine (i.e. delete the machine but keep the virtual disk, then make a new machine and specify what disk to use), or that each machine has a specific setting. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but it has been a while as I now use Virtualbox on my MBP (because it's ALWAYS going to be free... and it's very easy to change the directory with; I run my machines from an external eSATA drive!). Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.