Get rid of office

Reaction score
I am trying to not use MS office on my new mac. I purchased iwork 08 and am installing it in a few days when my trial is up. I dragged office to the trash can. Is that how you get rid of it? When I try to open .doc it still tries to open office, I have right click and say "open with" to get it to open. I have even checked the box to do this for all files, and it still tries to open it with office. Advise!?!?!?!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I think MS Office has an uninstaller with it. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I dont see an uninstaller in my version. I ,personally, love office

Reaction score
theres a reason they ported it to mac... its just supirior for now... maybe down the road enough people will use iwork, for the student price it made sence to get office... although now that i think about it i have only used excel and word(to print room mates .docs) ...hm...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
theres a reason they ported it to mac... its just supirior for now... maybe down the road enough people will use iwork, for the student price it made sence to get office... although now that i think about it i have only used excel and word(to print room mates .docs) ...hm...

cool, but not very helpful.

all you really need to do is pull it into the trash like you did.
but it will leave behind a couple small files as all the apps you erase do.
they don't leave enough to ever worry about, it may accumulate to a few kb max.

but if you really want to get rid of everything and anything it leaves behind, you can use a third party app called appzapper

http://appzapper.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 2.4GHz Core2Duo MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM
The Office trial actually has an uninstaller which you need to run to get rid of it totally. Some naughty applications can't simply be dragged to the trash, adobe products are another example.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
You do drag to the trash to uninstall. Although some files, like preferences, and plist will remain. Using spotlight, you can locate these files, and trash them as well. They are most likely located in your document, and /Users/Yourname/library/preference folders.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.