300 cycle count

Reaction score
I am a 30 day switcher. I recently calibrated my battery and learned about cycle counts. Since I only get 300, is it wise to ever unplug the battery? Should I try not to use it?

Your advise would be great

MacBook-Black

Reaction score
I am a 30 day switcher. I recently calibrated my battery and learned about cycle counts. Since I only get 300, is it wise to ever unplug the battery? Should I try not to use it?

Your advise would be great

For what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM
yea iv had my macbook since january of 07 and i have 86 cycles
i mostly keep mine plugged in

Reaction score
What are you asking? I am asking for advise on if I should use my battery (without the machine being plugged in) since it only gets 300 cycle counts...

Battery FOR WHAT? haha iPod, laptop, what?

Reaction score
Mac OS = Mac Operating System (which is software)

It's for anything, I'm guessing. Switching MP3 players, iBooks, iMacs, iPhones, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 Core2Duo White
Mac OS = Mac Operating System (which is software)

It's for anything, I'm guessing. Switching MP3 players, iBooks, iMacs, iPhones, etc.

I think his question is obvious enough. I don't understand why you are trying to discourage him.

Regarding the original question. I am also interested in getting some information from someone who can shed some light on the issue. In the meantime, this page seems to be a good place to learn about batteries.

Reaction score
From memory, I read an article from Apple saying:
-after 300 charges, the battery is about 80% effective
(or carries 80% left of its original charge, something along the lines of 80%)

This doesn't mean your battery is a goner, it just means your battery is no longer brand new.

Conclusion? I accepted the fact that nothing lasts forever and that the MacBook was designed to do work on the go.
This means you will be constantly charging and uncharging on the fly.

The people who designed these machines are smart.
Have faith in them.
I chose this product because it was the most ideal laptop in terms of price, and actually qualified it's own name of being a laptop.

You know what I'm talking about.
Those massive laptops which take 2 hands to carry and have bits and pieces hanging out.
Sure they are powerful and you can play games on campus, but as mobility goes they're just walking desktop computers if you ask me.

Reaction score
http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

Battery Lifespan

A properly maintained Apple notebook battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 300 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs.

Worse case scenario, buy a new battery.
Anyone know how much these things are worth?

Reaction score
Amazon sells Apple stuff now?

Dam I thought only did books...

Seems like the digital economy is growing very fast in todays world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I've had my macbook for about 18 months and my batter still works great. I can get a least a full 3 hours out of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
im in the uk just got a replacement battery had a faulty one. :( was on ahout 275 cycles and down to about 35% health. got worried when it wouldnt come outa standby whislt being powered from the battery. but i think they are about £80 over here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I have a two year old PB. I seldom use the battery, when I do, with airport turned off, I get about two hours of life, I would say this is same as I got with the PB even when it was new.

My understanding is when you first purchase a laptop, you are to run the battery down to zero, and then recharge it to calibrate the battery. I have heard to let the battery drain to zero once a month and recharge; although I never do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
I've had my macbook for 10 months know and i've had 261 cycles. However my battery health is still 100%. So i guess it's how you use your battery

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.