Educational Discount for my Brother

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
I have been using my Mac for a few months now and since that time my younger brother has been playing with it and has decided he would also like to switch.

He currently does not have the funds so he asked me to get him a 17" refurb iMac (old white design) which I did about 10 minutes ago. But after that I noticed for an extra £180 I could get him a new 20" iMac via an educational discount. This to me seems like better value.

On the Apple site it says the educational discount is for students over 18, parents and teachers. I am none of those but the machine is solely for my brother who is going to school full time (he's under 18 school). My parent won't get it for him as they don't see the difference between an Apple and a budget PC that costs £300.

Would Apple let me get the student discount for my brother? If so could I cancel my online order now and buy the other machine?

If it's useful both my brother and I both have the same place of residence.

Reaction score
So neither you or your brother qualify for the student discount, but you want apple to give him it so he can afford a new iMac instead of a refurbished one?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
My brother is a student, or does student mean University only students? He's a sixth former (16-18 year olds) and goes to school full time.

Reaction score
Well your best bet would be to find a friend who goes to university, ask them if they mind you ordering an apple computer in there name, if they agree ask them to phone up apple for you order what your wanting but pay with your credit/debit card and then you will get 10-15% off the price which is an awesome saving but only if you can put up with the moral dilemma of cheating the system!

If that’s not an option, or will cause many restless nights :p then I have heard of college students been able to get the basic HE discount (the 6% off iMac’s one) but the only sure way to know is to phone apple directly and enquire about it,

Reaction score
if you are really on a budget (like me), and are not sure you can get educational discount (like me), one option is to look at mac mini - the are selling old 1.66 intel core duo for approx £285 at amazon - it would be basic (no dvd burner), but a start. a screen and keyboard could be had for £100 more, and that would make your folks thin you were being on the frugal side...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.