• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Advice for college

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I am considering going to college for Computer Sciences and am not too sure what they teach when they say "Computer Sciences". Is this like Programming or basic stuff like "How to use Powerpoint 101"?. Also what degree would I need to make it in this field? I love working on computers and am constantly fixing my friends (yeah, for free). Any other advice would be great. I am kinda poor(who isn't?) so I am thinking of doing 2 years of Community college followed by a university. Any advice would be great. Is college even necessary? My cousin is working part time and making a killing just fixing computers.

Thanks and sorry for the extreme length,
mac0s9user

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Get certified too. The tests are expensive, but it's worth it. Certs are a big thing when clients are looking at you to do the repairs.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like A+ and C+ certs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
A+ at least, it's pretty easy, if you can go for all that you can, A+ CCNA, Network + security + linux etc, depending on your abilities. Most shops require you to be certified. Degrees do help as well.

In computer science courses there is a pretty good share of programming, networking, learning how it works, and well, the whole science behind computers. You might look at the colleges you'd like to attend, each place has different studies in their classes. They'll give you a run down about what you should expect.

Reaction score
I suggest you look into a school like Devry.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then I will really look into Certifications.Thanks for your advice. So college is totally worth it? What is with the asterik by Devry?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
College is an investment. You will spend money to attend, but it will pay off big time in the long run, especially with a degree like Computer Science. The only thing? Don't mess up. Keep your grades high and don't fail classes. Your paying for them now, remember?

There are plenty of scholarship opportunities around. Try local organizations. They LOVE to give scholarships. fastweb.com is also a great place...just use a disposable email. You will NEVER stop hearing from them.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool! Hopefully 2 years of community thean a transfer to a University will be ok.Thanks for the advice!

Reaction score
You asked for a definition regarding "computer sciences" -- Programming or basic stuff? And what degree would you need to make it in this field?

My take was, you were unsure of exactly which field computer science was related to, but that you were interested in repairing computers.

Certifications were brought up. You don't need to attend a university to repair computers or gain certifications. A school such as Devry will teach you everything you need to learn to repair computers. Grad's earn degrees there. Check out the site. They even offer tips regarding finances. If you prefer to attend a university, then by all means do so.

The asterisk was a typo.

Good luck in whichever education decisions you make.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! I'll look into DeVry but I'm in a remote loaction so there most likely isn't one near by. Someone once said that this market is flooded and that there are no good jobs left is that true?

What about on the Job Training?

Reaction score
Devry also has online courses.

I'm not sure about the job market statistics these days, but I believe we need people like you.

EDIT: Have you ever checked out the courses offered by Apple? Somewhere on their site are detailed courses and cert's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I am thinking of doing 2 years of Community college followed by a university.

Good idea. That's what I did. You save A TON of money and you get the same gen. ed. classes and Associate's Degree. I'm a junior now, so I'm at university. In fact, I'm sitting in my dorm right now.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay so I can go that route. However I was wondering if I studied (read books form the library) and go online and do certification tests (A+, C++, and apple tests) and pass then would that be enough or is it not worth it without a degree?

By the way thanks for all your input!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
I 110% disagree with 2 years in community college and 2 years in a university. Do yourself a favor and start where you plan to finish. ;D

As an employer, if two folks come to me and one has a 2/2 degree and one has a full term at a university, chances are I'm going to hire the full term guy over the community college guy. Community college is, IMHO, a joke.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I 110% disagree with 2 years in community college and 2 years in a university. Do yourself a favor and start where you plan to finish. ;D

As an employer, if two folks come to me and one has a 2/2 degree and one has a full term at a university, chances are I'm going to hire the full term guy over the community college guy. Community college is, IMHO, a joke.

Community college only covers your gen. ed. stuff. You wouldn't hire someone because they didn't take English 101, College Algebra, Biology 101, etc. at a University? The classes that really apply to their area of expertise would have still been taken at a 4 year institution. I don't see the difference.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So community college is a bad way to go? Im still trying to figure out how I'll afford all this. Anyway to get certified and not go to college or is that just a waste of time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So community college is a bad way to go?

No, it's perfectly fine to go to community college. You aren't going to take many classes there that will really apply to what you're doing. The first two years of college are pretty much like advanced high school classes. They're pretty basic. You'll take a few electives that introduce you to what you plan on studying, but like I said earlier, most of the stuff you'll take will be reading, writing, and 'rithmetic. It isn't until the second two years that you really start focusing on your major. Plus, about 75% of the profs I had at community college also teach at the university I'm attending. So, the only real advantage of going to university for the first two years is getting used to the college lifestyle. That's about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
So community college is a bad way to go? Im still trying to figure out how I'll afford all this. Anyway to get certified and not go to college or is that just a waste of time?

Have you filled out a FAFSFA? Applied for any scholarships relating to your field? I know a lot of people who on free government money are going to college nearly free! You can also earn work study where you can work for the college to pay it off. YES, community college is cheaper. YES, it might be a good idea. NO, there is nothing wrong about doing it. BUT, get a full Bachelor's degree after you do two years of Community College. AND, if you have to get some student loans, so be it!

You don't want to end up in this world without a degree. In the United States, a growing number of people are going to college and you need to make yourself competitive. Even if the job market absolutely sucks for whatever industry one choses to go into, if one can market themselves correctly, they can find their place. In China (and this isn't heresay, this is fact), you need a university level degree for almost everything, from a bank clerk up (please note that not all Universities are created equal).

Get a degree.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will do. I applied for FAFSA yesterday and they said the had to send me a pin via email so I am waiting for that. I would love to go to college I just ate being in debt for some reason.But my parents are low income so I have a good chance of some scholarships. So community college is the way to go for the first two years. Cool Thanks!! Any Certs I should study for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro with a purdy Reef cover, MacBook, iBook, iPhone, iPod.

I completely disagree with this... when you go to an employer, your degree is from ___________ University, not ____________ University with credits from ________Community College. There is a reason that most universities accept the lower level classes from community colleges, and it's because it is the same as what the Unversity is teaching. In my opinion, it's much smarter to go to CC and get credit for the same stuff you would get at the University, but pay 1/4 of the cost. Then go on to a University that specializes in your degree path and take the upper level courses there.

ETA: Just make sure that the courses will transfer to the University you intend to go to before taking them. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.