Wohoo! Just Made the switch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM
Oh god i looove this thing! Its toooooo simple!!!

Its a 2.16 Ghz 20" iMac!!! (WHite, i dont like the new ones :p )

Ok i need help on ONE thing! How do i connect my mac and pc through the ehernet cable? Ive gone through the steps on Apple's site but it wont find my pc.

Can anyone walk me through the process?

BTW, i get error code -36 when i try to connect (I put smb://IP/share name

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Are you sure Windows is sharing properly? Its most probably a problem on that end. Otherwise, try to access your mac from the PC. Enable Windows sharing first (sys prefs>sharing> windows sharing enabled)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac
I wouldn't recommend plugging the two into each other directly. You should plug into a switch or use your wireless connection to an existing network that the PC is on to to do this.

To enable proper OSX to Windows file sharing, you first need to make sure it is enabled on both. You also need to make sure that your "workgroup" name is the same on the PC as it is on the Mac. Both PC's and Mac's default to "workgroup" but if that was changed, you will need to change it.

I got it up and running using this reference.

Good luck!

OP
Nabooly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks alot guys, but i just gave up after trying for nearly an hour. Used my ipod to move all my files.

Now i have another question. Is there anyway to change the default size in firefox? The text is quite small and i have to zoom in 2x whenever i open a new window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
Thanks alot guys, but i just gave up after trying for nearly an hour. Used my ipod to move all my files.

Now i have another question. Is there anyway to change the default size in firefox? The text is quite small and i have to zoom in 2x whenever i open a new window.

Command(apple symbol) +(plus) to enlarge and command - to shrink, at least for firefox 2.0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but i just gave up after trying for nearly an hour
Don't give up! You never know when this will haunt you later on in life....

If you are absolutely sure that your Windows side is right, and that it is sharing right, then do this:
1. Change your mac IP to a static one. Go to the Network > double click the ethernet > then select "set iP manually" and enter 192.168.0.2...then try to connect using that IP. Change your windows ip to 192.168.0.1 though...

As for your firefox thing, the default CSS template can be accessed by typing About:config in the address bar (this was what it was on the PC. On mac I use Safari). Then there's a whole lot of configuration settings there...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook air 13", 256GB HD
thanks for posting that instruction to make the font larger on firefox, that came in real handy!

OP
Nabooly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

If you are absolutely sure that your Windows side is right, and that it is sharing right, then do this:
1. Change your mac IP to a static one. Go to the Network > double click the ethernet > then select "set iP manually" and enter 192.168.0.2...then try to connect using that IP. Change your windows ip to 192.168.0.1 though...

As for your firefox thing, the default CSS template can be accessed by typing About:config in the address bar (this was what it was on the PC. On mac I use Safari). Then there's a whole lot of configuration settings there...
:D
Thanks for the encouragment, but when you posted i already got my files over, maybe next time :Angry-Tongue:

thanks for posting that instruction to make the font larger on firefox, that came in real handy!

Did u use apple + or did u go into the about:config thing? If u went to the config thing could you please tell me what you changed? That page must be a mile long, lol :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Sometimes networking with PCs can be a problem because the workgroup names are not the same.

To chance the workgroup name open Directory Access, choose SMB/CIFS and click configure. This should help solve a lot of networking issues.

OP
Nabooly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sometimes networking with PCs can be a problem because the workgroup names are not the same.

To chance the workgroup name open Directory Access, choose SMB/CIFS and click configure. This should help solve a lot of networking issues.

I keep on getting error -36! Wow this is frustrating! I have all my files transferred, but i still want to be able to do this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i'm 94% sure that you need a cross over cable, not just a regular ethernet cord to do that.

edt:: i just remembered
if you use TWO ethernet cords, and run them through a router, it has the same effect

OP
Nabooly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'm 94% sure that you need a cross over cable, not just a regular ethernet cord to do that.

edt:: i just remembered
if you use TWO ethernet cords, and run them through a router, it has the same effect

hmmm...apple says that all you need is a standard ethernet cable.

Reaction score

Thanks for the info about how to get into the Firefox settings, but which one do you change to resize the fonts? There's about 400 of them in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's the difference in the ethernet cables? They all look the same to me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
Crossover CAT5 cables are for using direct PC to PC
Your meant to use a different type of cable to connect to a hub/switch/router etc.

Reaction score
I read in book that you only need a crossover ethernet cable if your Mac was made before 2002, otherwise a regular ethernet cable will suffice. It's easy to set up, then it's a matter of dragging the shared files over from the PC to the Mac, then opening them up on the Mac, then copying them to whereever you want.

The hardest part was on the Windows side, and that wasn't hard at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
Oh okay. Different on Mac's to PC in that regard then - could have been a simple explanation for no talky between the 2 machines though! Oh well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
You can use straight through cables on most machines these days. Crossover cables are not as common as they once were.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.