Mac Microsoft Office help

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm currently having a problem with my Mac Micrsofot office programs.

In my old PC, it takes around 5 sec for the program word or excel to starts.
I was expecting Mac to be around same and of course less time.

But then it turned out that everytime i try to start the program, it takes around 15-20 sec. About same time as OS start up time

Any help on that?
Thanks a lot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
The new iMac uses Intel processors. Mac Office 2004 is written for the older PowerPC processors. So every time you launch Word or do anything in Word, OS X converts that PowerPC code into Intel code which reduces performance quite a bit. That 15 secs load time is normal in this situation. It will even lag during typing.

Mac Office 2008 is coming in January and it will be a universal binary, meaning run at full speed on Intel as well as PowerPC.

Till then I suggest you use NeoOffice which is free and universal, or iWork, which is Apple's own productivity suite ($80) iWork which is in my opinion much better than MS Office.

OP
N
Reaction score
Ah i c thanks for replying, i'm just using a macbook.
About this iWork thing, i have it installed on my computer when i purchased, it comes with the recovery CD as well. Is this program you mentioned included in the iWork that comes with macbook? Or do i have to puchase again? Just purchased Mic Office 04 >.<

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
You have to purchase iWork. It does come as a 30 day trial with a new Mac, but that's just as well, as you can download it. If you haven't yet opened it, you can 'try' iWork for 30 days and see how it fits your work. You can open doc files as well as export to Word. Keynote is far superior to Powerpoint (that's a definite). And Numbers makes great spreadsheets. Overall, it makes great documents...

OP
N
Reaction score
I c, thanks for all your help ^^.
I can't believe i deleted Keynotes and iWork cause they uses up around 2G of space lol...... Crap... now need to recovery some of the files before i can use them again...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I have switched to Pages for my personal use, as I find it does everything I need, and it does it with far less clutter than Word. I still use Word at the office, because a lot of the documents I receive here use features that are not supported in Pages (such as forms).

NeoOffice is certainly a wonderful free alternative to Word, but in my experience, it's not any zippier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.