Printer quits applications unexpectedly

M

MiamiInsomniac

Help: Can't Print anything now and have missing addresses

Hi,

I hope someone can help. I have two problems:

1. Everytime I go print something my application unexpectedly quits, no matter what the application is? Is this a virus?

How can this be fixed?

2. In attempt to backup all my information in case of having reformat disk becuase of the above prolem (I'm a novice so don't know better) I found a folder called address book and I moved to a desktop folder to be copied/burned onto a disk. But now, I have lost all my address contacts. I haven't deleted anything, but I can't see all the address I entered.

Please help ASAP.

Adolfo
[email protected]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Try repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions Also make sure you run cron tasks or use Mac Janitor, Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed

OP
M

MiamiInsomniac

:(
Hi,

I hope someone can help. I have two problems:

1. Everytime I go print something my application unexpectedly quits, no matter what the application is? Is this a virus?

How can this be fixed?

2. In attempt to backup all my information in case of having reformat disk becuase of the above prolem (I'm a novice so don't know better) I found a folder called address book and I moved to a desktop folder to be copied/burned onto a disk. But now, I have lost all my address contacts. I haven't deleted anything, but I can't see all the address I entered.

Please help ASAP.

Adolfo
[email protected]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
1. Try reinstalling the drivers for your printer. No, it's not a virus.

2. Mac applications don't store your data inside the application file. Instead, they use the library folder in your home folder. So, all your contacts, safari bookmarks, preference settings, etc... that are unique to you or your computer are stored there. A good place to look is under library : application support. If you've moved folders out of there, all you should have to do is move them back. It's good practice when messing around with user data/system files to take note of the exact location you found them in, make a copy, store it somewhere else (eg desktop) before you change/move anything. Then it's a simple process to revert your system back to what it was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Useful Tip: To make a copy of any file/folder, press and hold option (the one between Ctrl and Apple) after or during highlighting the folder. Then simply drag the file/folder to the new destination. A file copy window will pop-up as normal telling you what it's doing.

OR

If you find it easier, you can use the Copy (Apple+C) and Paste (Apple+V) to copy any file or folder. Sometimes you'll be asked for permission before progressing. If you done it wrong, you can Undo the last command using (Apple+Z)

;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.