• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What are your thoughts on financing?

Reaction score
So, I was drooling over the G5 iMacs on the Apple Store site, AGAIN. I noticed the 'pay $50 a month' or whatever with a credit card.

Would any of you lease out a new iMac? I love my G3 TOO DEATH, except I would really be interested in trying a newer one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Your not "Leasing" it, your buying it on credit. Big difference.

I wouldn't use the bank Apple advertises unless you were planning on paying it off fairly fast, their interest is a bit high (ok, real high).

OP
Rabbit
Reaction score
Sorry, wrong terminology. I wouldn't mind the high interest. I forget what it was though. It'll help me build credit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Chances are, if your credit is not so good, you will be paying more than advertised. They usually advertise the payment someone with perfect credit would pay. You might want to consider a small loan from your own bank instead. I'm sure it would be a lower rate than whatever bank Apple uses (since they take a slice as well)

Reaction score
Last I knew, Apple loans were through Bank of America. And someone on another site once reported that you either pass their credit requirement, or you don't. There was supposedly no alternative financing rates. I've never financed anything through Apple so I could be wrong?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Last I knew, Apple loans were through Bank of America. And someone on another site once reported that you either pass their credit requirement, or you don't. There was supposedly no alternative financing rates. I've never financed anything through Apple so I could be wrong?

Apple's financing is through Barclays Bank and is called the Juniper Visa card. When I bought my MacBook Pro, they were offering free financing for 6 months and a $25 iTunes gift card if you financed. Although I had the cash, I couldn't resist the $25 gift card. I forget how the points worked, but since I spent $1270, I automatically got the gift card (I think $1250 was the magical number as I recall).

So, I did everything online, paid half the balance as soon as I received my first statement, waited until the gift card showed up and then paid off the rest and immediately closed the account. My wife and I only keep one credit card between the two of us (don't like having open credit lines for security reasons, plus it keeps your credit score high). All in all, the customer service for the credit card company wasn't too bad. It took about 3 months to receive my gift card. I had to call about 3 times (twice to check on the status of the gift card and once to close the account) - and had to wait more than 10 minutes each time to speak to a rep. They do have fee-free online payment and statements, which is awesome.

The moral of this story is that the financing isn't too bad as long as you are able to get it paid off in short order (i.e. before the interest kicks in - which I believe was something like 24% APR). You probably won't qualify for the financing if you have no credit whatsoever, I would recommend you start off smaller. There's a lot of credit card companies that specialize in starting your credit record off. They're usually high interest, so I recommend buying a few small price tag items, and routinely pay the card off before you accrue too much interest. Of course, it's easy to dig yourself into a hole with credit, so don't buy anything that you can't afford to pay off quickly with your existing income. And of course, if you don't have a steady income, wait until you do before you get started.

Reaction score
Would any of you lease out a new iMac?

Only if it was going to result in me bringing in additional income that was greater than the monthly payments...and if I didn't have the cash...

How much interest total are you going to be paying?...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
While it is tempting, financing a computer is a terrible idea imo. Computers go out-of-date so quickly that it's simply not worth it. I'll lease a car, I'll rent an apartment...but I won't finance a computer. In a year when you're still paying off your computer, a new Mac Pro will come out that will be twice as powerful, even quieter, cooler-looking, etc. cwa107 makes a good point though - if you can pay it off pretty quickly, it's not a bad option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Chances are, if your credit is not so good, you will be paying more than advertised.
Exactly. Also, if your credit isn't good (or well established) you aren't even going to be approved for the offer Apple has.
Sorry, wrong terminology. I wouldn't mind the high interest. I forget what it was though. It'll help me build credit.
You say that now, but when you realize that you end up paying almost twice what the actual cost of the computer is, it isn't so smart. There are better ways to build credit. Apple's offer isn't one of them.

Simply put... if you don't have the money now, then don't get it. Save your money. Work another part-time job if you have to. Don't buy a computer on credit if you don't have the money upfront to pay for it.

OP
Rabbit
Reaction score
Maybe I'll try to take a loan out from a bank. Thanks for the thoughts guys, I appreciate them. :D

Reaction score
Apple's financing is through Barclays Bank and is called the Juniper Visa card.
At one time, the Apple loan and credit card were entirely different financial offer's. I find it interesting Apple changes banks and credit card companies almost as fast as they do OS upgrades.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Personally, I feel that if you can't buy a computer outright or can't pay it off a credit card or some other credit within a few months, you probably shouldn't be buying it and either get something more affordable or be happy with what you have.

It's so easy to overextend yourself with credit. It happens every day. Be smart. Be content.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Personally, I feel that if you can't buy a computer outright or can't pay it off a credit card or some other credit within a few months, you probably shouldn't be buying it and either get something more affordable or be happy with what you have.

It's so easy to overextend yourself with credit. It happens every day. Be smart. Be content.

That was pretty much the point I was trying to make, although fleurya said it much better (and in far fewer words) :)

You can get into a world of trouble with credit. On the flip side, having good credit will open doors to many things that you could never have without it - like a home, a new car, etc. So, if you have no credit right now, start off small. Make a couple of purchases that you can easily afford to pay off within a month or two, but don't go overboard. If you can afford to pay the machine you're looking at off within a month or two, it's probably OK. Otherwise, save up until you have the cash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
The UK has over a trillion pounds of personal debt, I have no intention of adding to that. I owe the price of an iPod Classic that will be paid imminently.

Debt is far to easy to build up, and far to difficult to pay off. If you really want a Mac, save up and get a cheaper one - the debt isn't worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Well said. I stopped using credit for for pretty much anything. I have 2 personal credit cards with a total of $1200 combine credit. They are great for buying things on-line as they have low limits and if the numbers get jacked, I don't lose anything. For bigger things, like computers, TVs, Stereo's and so on, if I don't have the money in the bank, I don't buy it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.