Use my old XP dvd?

Reaction score
I have XPPro on a disc supplied with my Evesham Laptop back in 2003. This is a rescue sort of disc but it has the full XP on it as I installed it on another machine and it booted with the usual 30 days before registration.

Problem is if I buy a MAC and parallels s/w, will I be able to use my old XP without re-registering?

I there a way of doing a disc image of my Laptop and transfering that way. I do NOT want to buy a MAC and then discover I have to buy XP again!

Anyone advise who has done this? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
Why buy a mac if you want xp so much?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
I have XPPro on a disc supplied with my Evesham Laptop back in 2003. This is a rescue sort of disc but it has the full XP on it as I installed it on another machine and it booted with the usual 30 days before registration.

Problem is if I buy a MAC and parallels s/w, will I be able to use my old XP without re-registering?

I there a way of doing a disc image of my Laptop and transfering that way. I do NOT want to buy a MAC and then discover I have to buy XP again!

Anyone advise who has done this? Thanks

What you are asking for is breaking the microsoft EULA

OP
C
Reaction score
Answering the previous two

1. I need to replace my laptop and have been interested in MACs for some time. It would be useful for me to test some of my development work on a MAC platform as well as a windows one.

2. When my changeover is working the old laptop will be converted to Linux and used as a server for it's last years (sort of cosy retirement!). So the licence will essentially be transfered. So no break of license agreement. There's still to 2009 when MS stops supporting XP Home & Pro. I need to be sure that I can re-invoke my license when transfered. Anyone done this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
I believe if the disk came with a computer, the license is only supposed to be used with that computer, so in microsofts eyes you would be stealing the license and robbing them of "their much needed money" haha.

OP
C
Reaction score
I see!

I believe if the disk came with a computer, the license is only supposed to be used with that computer, so in microsofts eyes you would be stealing the license and robbing them of "their much needed money" haha.

In my eyes that's an unfair contract. If I buy a car and the body gets worn beyond reair but the engine is still good for a few miles I do not expect someone to tell me to throw the engine away and start again!

The reason why I'm moving away from MS is that I see better options rising in Linux and MAC areas and I think this trend will grow. Any technically savvy person wants a bit of a challenge! Whenever I get the chance I tell people to get OOOrg, Fireworks and GIMP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB
I believe only retail versions of Windows can be transferred from computer to computer, not OEM versions. If you want an official answer, call Microsoft and ask them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.