• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Buy directly from Apple or a retailer?

Reaction score
I have no Apple store near me anyway but I could of course buy the IMac 24"directly from them. Do most of you buying new, buy directly from Apple or another retailer? Does it make any difference? I was wondering if I could at least save on sales tax by buying from someone outside of Washington. Am I opening a can of worms by asking for recommendations of a good online retailer? Also, do many of you buy the extended warranty and do you have to buy from Apple to have that option?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
It's really up to you where you want to purchase from. I purchased from Apple directly so I didn't have to deal with a middle man.

Yes buy the extended warranty (AppleCare). It is worth all the money. You don't have to buy directly from Apple to have that option either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM
Buying from a respected retailer is fine. Just make sure you buy applecare no matter where you get it from.

Reaction score
I bought a 17" iMac for my son from Amazon last year. I recently bought AppleCare directly from Apple. The only minor issue is that Apple had the sale date at October 8 and I bought the iMac on 12/1 from Amazon. I think it's now correct after registering AppleCare.

My experience with Amazon was great. Quick shipping and no sales tax.

Reaction score
johnstac, I have always purchased my Mac's and iPod's through the online Apple Store. But one thing I have learned through other people, is that some retailer's such as CompUSA, and other's, will tell you you need their warranty as well as AppleCare. Don't believe them for a minute! You do not.

Also, I have always purchased Applecare at the time of my Mac purchase. I suggest you do the same. But for the record, you can purchase sealed retail boxes of Applecare on ebay. Just make sure the box is sealed, and the seller has a excellent reputation regarding the sale of Mac programs such as Applecare.

For the record, if you buy a Mac from the Apple online store, you will pay tax if there is a Apple retail location in your state.

OP
J
Reaction score
I was looking at several apple computers on Macmall. They seem to run a little cheaper then the Apple site and they will not charge me sales tax like Apple. I do not see the option to buy Apple care through though. I will have to investigate this further. I know sales tax may not seam like much but 8% on $3000 is a chunk of change. I would definitely rather use that money towards the monitor, etc. Just not sure if there are rankings for Apple retailers like Macmall and others. They seem to be pretty big though.

Reaction score
I've run across people who have purchased from them. They're about as good as any Apple reseller.

Like I wrote, you can purchase Applecare on ebay, if not directly from Apple.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ended up getting an iMac at MacMall. Overall, very happy. I really enjoy not paying that sales tax! Instead, I could use that money to pay for the Apple care warranty that was $169.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.