file naming question

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a easy way to name numerous files in a bulk rather than doing it one by one. For example, i have 50 jpeg files that i would like to rename "summer1", summer 2 summer3.... and so on. Is there an easy way of getting this done in finder rather than doing it one by one?

Thanx in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Do a search on versiontracker.com under OSX software. I used to have an app that did that, I just don't remember the name.

Edit: I just grabbed an app called "File re-namer" off Version tracker. Looks like what you want and it's free.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
renamer4mac works very well.

you can also use automator, but i've had a horrible time keeping the files in their original order.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB
I know the OP wanted this done graphically... but for future reference, can't this also be done by writing a bash script?

Reaction score
I know the OP wanted this done graphically... but for future reference, can't this also be done by writing a bash script?

You can code a bash script to cook your dinner if you wanted to...

In this case it would be a bit more complex though, since you're dealing with unknown variables (the original file names).
Even so, I think it would actually take you longer to code the script rather than to manually renaming the files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wouldn't

for i in *.JPG;
do mv $i ${i%%.JPG}.jpg;
done

work? At least something similar works in a Linux environment. I'm not sure if the bash used by Darwin is the same.

You can code a bash script to cook your dinner if you wanted to...

In this case it would be a bit more complex though, since you're dealing with unknown variables (the original file names).
Even so, I think it would actually take you longer to code the script rather than to manually renaming the files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Wouldn't

for i in *.JPG;
do mv $i ${i%%.JPG}.jpg;
done

work? At least something similar works in a Linux environment. I'm not sure if the bash used by Darwin is the same.

Probably. Then again, the OP would have to be familiar enough with it or with Automater to make it work. Sometimes it's easier to find a simple 3rd party app that does what you want. Not everyone speaks code.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right, I understand. :)

I was just thinking out loud. I'm a recent convert myself and am still just trying to find the best way to do things.
Probably. Then again, the OP would have to be familiar enough with it or with Automater to make it work. Sometimes it's easier to find a simple 3rd party app that does what you want. Not everyone speaks code.

Reaction score
I've only done basic scripting, but what does the %% mean in that code?

That's pretty good, just need to remember to execute that code in the correct folder or else you'll end up renaming the wrong files.

Another thing, what is Darwin?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.