• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Software on eBay. Good? Bad? Fake? Legit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.0GHz, Airport Extreme, 3G iPod Nano
Ok peeps,

I want to buy Toast 8 for my Macbook, but would rather not pay $100 at Apple/CompUSA/BestBuy etc...

So, I checked eBay. For the record, I've purchased software from eBay before, but it was a sealed retail box version, so I wasn't too concerned. Today however, I came across many "retail" versions of Toast that were only a disc in a sleeve with a CD key. This seemed odd, as this kind of packaging usually happens with an OEM version, not a retail one. Moreover, the cost of these discs was around $35 shipped - obviously much cheaper than the B&M stores.

If this were a reputable online reseller such as newegg, I'd have no problems with the purchase. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. While these sellers may have a litany of positive feedback, it is entirely possible that it was a result of an unsuspecting buyer being happy with the price (or an ignorant one for that matter), rather than the quality of the service/purchase.

My question is this:

Has anyone had experience with purchasing software (preferably Toast) on eBay. I'm more concerned with the integrity of the software than anything else. Maybe I'm being paranoid here, but would it be possible for a bootlegger to modify the installation files on this disc such that it installs more programs than I would have liked? (eg. keylogger/trojan/etc.).

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
ebay isn't anywhere near the way it was 5 or 6 years ago. I generally try my best to avoid it completely. I would suggest that anyone else do the same.

If you want deals on software, try something like www.pricegrabber.com to find out where some better prices are.

Reaction score
I have had luck with openbox items on ebay before, buying a couple of OS'es that worked as promised. Though there are always your scammers, make sure to check the auction out first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I'd also see if the seller has a long and positive history too.... I guess you can fake that tooo but over the course of 3-4 years i unno

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
what about straight from roxio's website is it cheaper that way?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.