Should I upgrade from 8.6 to X...

L

lv2dzn

Here's some background: I am a graphic designer for a local shopper. We do all of our ad layout design on mac, but occasionally we have customers send ads/art that's pc-based. I usually have to go to my pc, convert the file, then email it to my mac and rebuild/fix it. We've been having a lot of instability issues with the macs and some of our software is getting outdated.

We have Power Mac G3's. Almost all of our software is at least 4 or more years old. We want to update some of it, but I think we're going to have to update from 8.6 to OSx first.

I know almost nothing about OSx. Is it worth upgrading? Is there anything I should know about before doing it? I need some input please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Well, OSX is by far more stable, though, it may be a tad slow on those G3s, depending on how many mhz (I know G3 333mhz isn't incredibly fast/slow but it works and thats all ive ever tried for the g3s)
There may also be design convertions that the newer OSX programs can do with out a pc first. I don't suggest OS9 though it is better over all, the software rendered graphics of OS9 i believe were purposely lowered to make OSX look better. OSX is just as easy to learn and easy to use as OS8.. what kind of software do you use?

OP
L

lv2dzn

Our main applications are: photoshop 5.0, illustrator 8.0, suitcase 8, quark 4.11 and cls 3.0.3.

I would love to be able to do cross-platform work with my pc more easily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Well, VPC 6 is pretty nice, PhotoShop 7 is amazing, illustrator 10 not much different, quark5? hvnt used it, cls hvnt used it either.

If you upgrade to OSX i recommend upgrading all your software, and your computers... power vs cost and profit vs improved quality

OP
A

artie

lv2dzn said:
We've been having a lot of instability issues with the macs and some of our software is getting outdated.

Im not surprised about instability if your not using osX.....

OSX walks all over previous Mac OS versions.... it never crashes..... rarely you may have an app crash on you, but guess what? With osX, there is NO need to restart the computer! You simply quit the program and relaunch it.

I could not and would not go back to os 9...

just make sure you have lots of RAM...OSX loves and runs better with more ram. 128MB is the minimum, but I would suggest 256megs or MORE.

assuming of course your current supports it... You didnt mention what mac models your using...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.