iTunes > iTunes

Reaction score
Just though I would ask to see if this is possible, what I want to do is have my brother save his whole iTunes collection to my external hard drive and then upload them to my new iMac when it arrives, is this achievable or will they be protected or prohibited from letting me do this, I have all of the music on original disks but I just thought it would be faster and more convenient to do it over FW800 and not have to change disks every few minutes if I do it myself

Reaction score
I backed up my iTunes library by dragging the iTunes folder (under "Music") to the External. Not sure if thats what you were looking for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Yes, you can, you'll just need to add the Music folder to your library within iTunes, as it won't scan the folder automatically. I did exactly this with my MacBook and iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
what stunkinsleep said is correct, just drag the music folder to an external then drag the music folder to your itunes when you get your new imac.

Reaction score
Hi All,

New to this so my apologies if this has been asked, but this problem looks a bit loke the one I am having.

I have been a PC user for years <standard opening confession>...

I have about 30gb of music on the PC with itunes for my ipod. I would like to transfer it to my new mac.

I copied the folder 'itunes' to an external drive and plugged it into the mac.

All other files are visible on the mac - with the exception of the itunes folder.

I even tried to renaming the folder (on some idea that maybe the mac ignores 'itunes' folders)...

It would seem the only way to transfer the music would be to do a search on the PC '*.mp4' and copy the files to another folder and then import them to itunes (if this makes sense).... but that seems pretty hectic and not the 'simple' way to do things that I am finding is the case with all other things mac..... everything else seems really easy to do...

Cheers and thanks for any advice forthcoming...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Considering a Mac... hopefully
Yes, it is doable. At first I thought it was like saying iTunes is greater than iTunes which made no sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi All,

New to this so my apologies if this has been asked, but this problem looks a bit loke the one I am having.

I have been a PC user for years <standard opening confession>...

I have about 30gb of music on the PC with itunes for my ipod. I would like to transfer it to my new mac.

I copied the folder 'itunes' to an external drive and plugged it into the mac.

All other files are visible on the mac - with the exception of the itunes folder.

I even tried to renaming the folder (on some idea that maybe the mac ignores 'itunes' folders)...

It would seem the only way to transfer the music would be to do a search on the PC '*.mp4' and copy the files to another folder and then import them to itunes (if this makes sense).... but that seems pretty hectic and not the 'simple' way to do things that I am finding is the case with all other things mac..... everything else seems really easy to do...

Cheers and thanks for any advice forthcoming...

You should start a new thread, tagging your question to the end of an old one is confusing.

The iTunes folder should be visible in the external drive all things being equal. If it's not then there's a problem with the drive or the PC. What you're doing otherwise is correct, but when you import the files you need to make sure they are copied to your iTunes folder on the mac and not just added to the library in situ. I can't look up how to do this at present as I'm at work.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice so far.

I didn't start a new thread as often, if a topic is similar (which it seemed to be) people can get irritated for starting new ones. Guess I was wrong.

I'm not thinking there is an issue with the PC as I have checked the external drive on other PC's, and all other files/folders are visible on the mac.

I can't help but think that the mac purposely ignores the 'itunes' folder possibly due to some kind of attribute (like a system folder). Clearly, i'm applying kind of 'Microsoft logic' (to not let users manage their own files where possible), which is likely incorrect, but hey - that's my background for the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't help but think that the mac purposely ignores the 'itunes' folder possibly due to some kind of attribute (like a system folder).

No, it doesn't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.