What free programs are good?

Reaction score
ok so i thought i would start this off before i got my mac..

what free programs can i download on to the mac that are useful?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
that all depends on what you use them for. it you try hard enough, you can usually find freeware to do anything.
a good place to start would be
http://www.apple.com/downloads/
they always say beside them whether they are freeware, shareware, a demo, or an update.

OP
H
Reaction score
Oh and also what msn messanger can you get that lets you use the Isight as a webcam?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD
The current versions of Messenger don't allow for the Webcam conversations. I'd stick to Apple's website and only download stuff from them, this way you can be sure they wont harm your precious hardware.

OP
H
Reaction score
i thought i read somewhere Amsn has webcam with isight? but im not sure

Reaction score
aMsn if you need webcam for the msn network.
adium for all the other protocols if you don't need the webcam support.
I suggest you get Xee (free image viewer which I really like...did a little review sort of thing on my blog in my newly created blog entry series software for switchers), then there is quicksilver which is really good...but you have to work through the manual to be able to use it really but it's worth it. Vienna is a good rss aggregator which is open source...there is so much....maybe you do a search also...I remember seeing a thread with must have apps for switchers or something.

kuchiki

Reaction score
The first freeware program any new Mac user should download is Flip4Mac. Especially if you enjoy viewing video's from the 'net. WMP is no longer supported for Mac.

FWIW,Versiontracker is a proven and completely trusted site to download software. If you're a new Mac user, I recommend you bookmark the web site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
I suggest you get Xee (free image viewer which I really like...did a little review sort of thing on my blog in my newly created blog entry series software for switchers)

way back when i switched from windoze to mac. there was a total of 2 things that i missed.

Windows Image and Fax Viewer
and
MS Paint

thanks for solving the first one, Xee kicks preview out of the water!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
there are plenty of threads on this topic, but here are a few of my favorite freewares..
quicksilver
desktopmanager
vlc player
adium
buddi
skitch
vienna

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.