Things I don't like on my iMac

Reaction score
Hello folks!

I;ve made the switch a bit over two weeks now and every moment with my mac has been magic! :D

With that said, there are a few things that are bothering me... I thought that some of those can be solved with a different configuration or something and thats why I'm here. Actually, there are only two major things:

I miss being able to look at miniatures of pictures without having to open each one. I've kinda solved that by clicking in all images of a paste and opening them with preview. Is there a way to see the thumbnails like we do on windows?

I also miss deleting stuff simply by selecting an icon and hitting the delete button. Do we always have to right-click and send it to trash?

Oh, something kinda weird is happening to the iCal. It always starts showing me July 17th. I have to open and close it so the date will be corrected. Is that normal?

Thanks guys!

M

MacHeadCase

Usually images generate thumbnails in OS X unless they are very compressed .jpgs or .gifs (by not carrying around a thumbnail, they save space and load faster in a wegpage).

If you want to add thumbnails to images not having any, you can download CocoThumbX, which is a freebie.

Reaction score
1. change your Finder view to Icon, and it will show thumbnails for each photo. You can change the size of the thumbnails in Finder view options.

2. Select the item(s) & hit command+delete

3. The iCal icon will always show 7/17 unless it is open. that's just the way the program is

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
yh you can show the images without having to open them, just go to view and then show view options. then select 'show icon preview'

if you want to delete a file via the keyboard just press command and backspace.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Hello folks!

I;ve made the switch a bit over two weeks now and every moment with my mac has been magic! :D

With that said, there are a few things that are bothering me... I thought that some of those can be solved with a different configuration or something and thats why I'm here. Actually, there are only two major things:

I miss being able to look at miniatures of pictures without having to open each one. I've kinda solved that by clicking in all images of a paste and opening them with preview. Is there a way to see the thumbnails like we do on windows?
In any Finder window, you should see a funny looking gear-type icon with the words 'actions' under it. Click that and select 'Show View Options'

Check the box that says 'Show icon preview', and make sure you have it selected for "all windows."

I also miss deleting stuff simply by selecting an icon and hitting the delete button. Do we always have to right-click and send it to trash?

Command-Delete (command being that button that on new keyboards is labelled, 'command', on older keyboards it's labelled with an apple logo and that fleur-de-lis symbol which is actually a Swedish Camp site sign.) That is your one-action method of sending stuff to the trash. Still have to empty the trash, but that's a design feature to make sure you don't accidentally delete things. Windows let's you right-click and SHIFT-key to select the really delete things, but Finder is different. Of course if you have any UNIX chops, you can go to the Terminal and issue a rm on whatever you really-absolutely-have-to-delete-right-friggin'-now if you like.

Oh, something kinda weird is happening to the iCal. It always starts showing me July 17th. I have to open and close it so the date will be corrected. Is that normal?

Thanks guys!

This one I don't know about. I've never really noticed what date iCal defaults to, but then I think there are some things about iCal that are kind of annoying (go to today button guys? The Palm Desktop folks figured that out back in 1995.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
17th July is celebrated as iCal's birthday. It was the day it was released or something. It always shows 17th unless it is open. There are however utilities specially designed that change the ical icon but that's just plain silly...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
iCal's actual icon says july 17th. you would need to set it to open on login, and hide (if you prefer that). it's not saying the date, but rather.. just showing you the icon of a program that is not running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
And as for your deleting issue, you see, Mac bashers will say apple went ahead an added an extra key to delete stuff. But with you do it this way, you don't get a "Do you really want to move it to trash?". It just bumps into trash.

I don't think there's an option to directly delete a file skipping the trash, but I use quicksilver to delete files, and they skip trash.

You could use this quick combination Command+Shift+Delete(backspace) to empty the trash while in Finder.

I hope your problems are solved.

OP
C
Reaction score
Oh boy... sooo much to learn! :D

Thank you all for the help! Im loving my mac even more now!

thankssssss!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.