I'm new and i need help

Reaction score
Hi ya'll, I just got given an Imac G3. Apparently it was some kind of teaching machine. I cannot get to the Finder because it automatically starts up on this childrens menu which requires cds for various learning options. Is there a shortcut where I can start up on Finder? I don't know much about Macs, I'm a Windows person, but if I can do something with this machine I may be a convert. I think it's a fairly old machine, maybe 1998. I suppose that's ancient for Macs! Anyway because I can't get to the Finder I can't tell what operating system it is, or how much memory it has... propably very little. It may be a lemon for all I know, but I'd like to know. What I'd like to use it for is word processing and (fingers crossed) email? I've only just joined the forum in the hope of finding help so don't expect me to know what you're talking about. It's a big learning curve I'm told. Anyway, I hope someone out there in the wild blue mac yonder can spare some kind words of help, even if it's only to say "turn it into a fish bowl".

maryanjo ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Is there another account like Admin account?
When you are in the child screen, can you quit it?
I am not sure, trying to remember the OS9 days, that not seem like years ago. try holding down the Apple key (command key) and tab, and choosing the finder (less likely to work).

Reaction score
If you can access anything from under the apple at the top left, the control panels in particular, see if the Launcher is turned on. If it is, turn it off.

The Launcher folder might contain an application that disables the Finder's full functions.

If you can't gain access to the control panels, double-click the hard-drive icon to open it, then the System Folder within the hard drive. Find the Launcher folder and drag whatever is in it (if anything) to the desktop. Also check inside the Startup Items folder that also is in the System Folder. It might contain something that forces the kiddies' application to start.

If there was anything inside the Launcher folder or the Startup Items folder, restart the machine to see if it boots properly.

If that doesn't fix it, restart the machine again while holding down the Shift key. This prevents all system extensions and control panels except Apple's base set from turning on — another extension (within the Extensions folder, also within the System Folder) may have been installed that cripples the Finder.

OP
M
Reaction score
It starts up in this kids program. There are no files or folders or menus to access. I'm going to try the shift key sequence. Stay with me guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
It may have set up to perform that way. Our old Macs were set up that way under the students screen name, not allowing them to access the finder, etc. It sounds like you have the same situation, that is why I asked if you have a login screen, or the ability to change users to an admin account.

OP
M
Reaction score
Update: Now the machine won't turn on at all. Its as if there's no power to it. I've plugged it into a different power socket but its still the same. Looks like the trash heap is beckoning.
Anyway to answer a question above: When I quit the kids program it takes me to some administrater password dialogue. I guess its the teachers password its asking for. I don't know it. But now this power problem has come up and it looks like it might be toast. Meanwhile if you have an idea what to do about the password, then if it comes back on i'll try it. Now I know why I was given the machine! Is there a reset button on it?

OP
M
Reaction score
I read the manual and it shows a reset button in the rh side compartment. However, when I look for it it isn't there. It looks like this machine is older. It looks like the pics I think this one is from the 90s. So how do I power on when it won't? This is so frustrating. But I suppose you could say Welcome to the club.

Reaction score
Your not ready for this yet but anyway,the battery that keeps the settings is about or is gone thats why it may not start every time,use the button on the front of the Imac. There is a restart button down on the side of the Imac you may need a paper clip to push it. Sounds to me you need to nuke the drive and start over with a clean install of Mac OS. If you nuke the drive the firmware will be lost as it resides on the hard drive. If you no not use Imac install dics you have to load the firmware yourself.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well that means getting Mac OS disks and I don't want to buy them if this is going to be a no no. Okay I'll look to see where this reset button is. I couldn't see it last time. You're right I'm not ready for this. I didn't know you had to have firmware installed. I know someone who has Mac OS software for their laptop. Will that do? It's a recent laptop though. Maybe its OS 10. Please advise.

Reaction score
Can you describe the iMac a little more? Is Bondi Blue or Grape, for example? Is it tray loading or slot loading for the CD in front?

I ask only because I think the later ones came with 9 instead of 8.6 and that might be helpful. Also it might be easier to throw an upgrade on a 700 mhz Snow and save it than a 233 Bondi Blue.

Reaction score
An Imac is basicly a laptop with a monitor on top of it thats why theres these crazy firmwear issues. If you had not got stuck with educational Os installed the Imac would be a good starter but a PCI power mac would have been easier to get going for someone new,hang in there.

M

MacHeadCase

And something more: you can't use restore disks from other Macs because they are model and hardware specific.

So if the switch doesn't do the trick, why not give it to someone who is willing to get full install disks (not restore disks) from eBay or something? Sounds to me like, as Mac SK was saying, it needs a reinstall and possibly a new battery (which are about 6$).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.