Ichat to Windows

Reaction score
I have a an imac with I chat, could I use it to video conference with someone on a pc.

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro: 2.2 gHz, 120gb, glossy. STOLEN :(
I've had some problems trying to video chat to a windows. I think you can use Skype.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Skype is one option - I use this one routinely. Another is to have your PC friends install AIM (AOL Instant Messenger). It is compatible with iChat, so you can do an AIM-iChat video call. I haven't done this, but it works "on paper". Does anyone out there reading this presently use this setup?

Reaction score
I've done Mac/Win videoconference with my dad. I'm using an iMac intel, and he's got an IBM Thinkpad running WinXp. I put a $35 Logitech ball camera on his laptop, installed AOL AIM, had to tweak a bit, and voila, worked like a champ.

Here's a great tutorial: Ichat/Win Tutorial

Note that it recommends that AIM v5.9 is what to use, NOT 6.0. That site provides a link to the older v5.9.

Because I was installing the camera on a low-powered Thinkpad (with limited USB ports), it took a fair bit of tweaking the camera to get audio and visual.

The Mac, on the other hand, worked as soon as you opened iChat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook Pro MC118E/A 15.4 | iPhone 4S | iPod many
Hi guys,

Tomorrow I'm having a videoconference. Note that I'm a new Mac user. I have a MacBook Pro, so the question is: can I use the iChat or the Gmail?

The other person is a PC user... maybe there is something new from 2007 (the last post on this topic I've found)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
iChat will still work with AOL Instant Messenger. I used it with a friend of mine a few times. Ultimately we decided to use Skype to Skype because that is what he prefers but once we got it configured AIM worked well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you.
I'll download Skype and learn how to use it.
Cheers,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Done. Installed Skype for Mac. I had a videoconference with a friend in Sapin who use a PC.
Works perfect!!
Thank you for your help :)

Reaction score
despite my post from several years ago, I've been using Skype (rather than iChat) for VC and it's simple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.