• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Non-Compete Agreement

JRV

Reaction score
I work as a web designer for a technology company. The company covers a wide range of tech from installing networks to designing websites. I had to sign a Non-Compete Agreement before they would hire me. The agreement says I can't work for any company that would be considered a competitor for up to 2 years.

If I ever leave does that mean that I wouldn't be able to freelance or work as a web designer for 2 years? I know what a Non-Compete Agreement is but unsure of what would be considered a competitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
2 years is a pretty harsh agreement. Could you perhaps scan the clause so that we can get a look at the exact wording, as that would help us figure out what exactly your employer meant.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
2 years is a pretty harsh agreement. Could you perhaps scan the clause so that we can get a look at the exact wording, as that would help us figure out what exactly your employer meant.

I think I have a copy in my files somewhere, I'll look for it. It was just a brief paragraph in the Agreement I signed. It was pretty vague from what I remember.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
That does sound pretty harsh. I don't know what I'd do if I wanted to change jobs...technology is my passion.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
Monster.com says that they can only be enforced if they are reasonable. If they are too long or prevent you from working in your field all together they are usually thrown out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Two years is pretty standard. It doesn't mean that you can't work as a designer, it basically means that you can't do any work (similar to what you do now) for the existing clients of the place you work now.

I have a similar agreement where I work now. I can leave if I really wanted to, I just can't farm the client list and do work for them if it would cause that client to leave my current employer completely.

Reaction score
D3v1L80Y is on it, a non-compete is usually reserved for stealing your current company's clients. They are very difficult to enforce unless damage to the current company can be proved. If you leave your company and go to work in the same capacity with another company you will be in a gray area if it can be shown that the two companies are in direct competition with each other. If they aren't, then there is very little risk of violating the non-compete.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
It may sound harsh, but it's pretty common. My fiancé had to abide by the same type of agreement a few years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB
I had an identical agreement with a web hosting company I worked for. I couldn't work for a competitor for 2 years after I worked for them. I thought it was pretty harsh but didn't give it a second thought - I was very young and it was my first full-time job. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Technically I was in the same way with my prior company...usually that can be waived if you're on good terms with your employer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
wow... nowadays, two years is ancient news in anything 'web'. i think that's a bit too much...

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
Two years is pretty standard. It doesn't mean that you can't work as a designer, it basically means that you can't do any work (similar to what you do now) for the existing clients of the place you work now.

I have a similar agreement where I work now. I can leave if I really wanted to, I just can't farm the client list and do work for them if it would cause that client to leave my current employer completely.

Yep you're right. It says I can't work as a web designer for the company's current clients for 2 years. That doesn't seem so bad now since the chances of me working for the clients is almost zero.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.