• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

FC Express - how do I add DE-INTERLACE filter?

Reaction score
Hi chaps!.

I am editing a .MOV file that I got from Apple site (just experimenting). When I export the clip using Quicktime compression, I get the clip INTERLACED (combing effect) even though I dragged the DE-INTERLACE filter to the timeline, and also to the viewer.

CONFUSED - HOW DO I FIX IT?!

I would be most grateful - thanks - it needs to be DE-INTERLACED!.

[EDIT]

Done it!:

2d9siec.png
THEN...
4mlvnma.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
So you applied a deinterlace filter within FCE and you are trying to deinterlace it again at export? Be sure to double click on the clip in the timeline and go to the FILTERS tab in the viewer and make sure things look good. Render. Export. There shouldn't be any need to click "deinterlace source video" since it will already be deinterlaced.

Another theory:
The video has been scaled, and the combing effects will be permanent as a result. If the source video is not 480 pixels high, deinterlacing it will do no good. Can you post a picture of the combing effects?

If worse comes to worst, link me to the particular video on Apple and I will look at it.

OP
glosswhite
Reaction score
So you applied a deinterlace filter within FCE and you are trying to deinterlace it again at export? Be sure to double click on the clip in the timeline and go to the FILTERS tab in the viewer and make sure things look good. Render. Export. There shouldn't be any need to click "deinterlace source video" since it will already be deinterlaced.

Another theory:
The video has been scaled, and the combing effects will be permanent as a result. If the source video is not 480 pixels high, deinterlacing it will do no good. Can you post a picture of the combing effects?

If worse comes to worst, link me to the particular video on Apple and I will look at it.

You are very kind indeed!:

This is the .MOV I am editing

http://images.apple.com/movies/us/apple/ipoditunes/home/2007/ipod_itunes-mandolin_640x496.mov

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK that clip is not interlaced at all and runs at 24 frames per second (23.98 to be exact). If you are trying to make a differently sized Quicktime, just try exporting it from Quicktime itself. Otherwise you'll need to open Final Cut and change the sequence's frame rate to 23.98 fps. Right click on the sequence in the bin to do this and select "Settings". The field dominance should automatically change to "None". If the timeline suddenly vanishes when you do this, just double-click on the sequence you just right-clicked on and it will appear (it was the old 29.97fps timeline that went away). After that, import the video. Drop it in the time line and you should be fine. You'll still need to render. When you export, make sure the frame rate stays the same and don't do any interlacing!

TIP: You can see the framerate and other information about a Quicktime movie by pressing apple + i while the movie is open in Quicktime Player.

OP
glosswhite
Reaction score
OK that clip is not interlaced at all and runs at 24 frames per second (23.98 to be exact). If you are trying to make a differently sized Quicktime, just try exporting it from Quicktime itself. Otherwise you'll need to open Final Cut and change the sequence's frame rate to 23.98 fps. Right click on the sequence in the bin to do this and select "Settings". The field dominance should automatically change to "None". If the timeline suddenly vanishes when you do this, just double-click on the sequence you just right-clicked on and it will appear (it was the old 29.97fps timeline that went away). After that, import the video. Drop it in the time line and you should be fine. You'll still need to render. When you export, make sure the frame rate stays the same and don't do any interlacing!

TIP: You can see the framerate and other information about a Quicktime movie by pressing apple + i while the movie is open in Quicktime Player.

Hey!. I shall try that, and thankyou for taking your time to explain to me etc; you sure know your FC!.

Regards, Matt.

[EDIT]

Tried that - you can't change the framerate of a clip... I am using FC Express 3.5 HD btw, and perhaps you could be referring to FC Pro Studio 6?. Would you mind explaining exactly how this is achieved, as I have followed your advice TO THE LETTER, and no go!. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not familiar with Final Cut Express specifically, but from what I know it has extremely similar functionality. This method will work in Final Cut Pro versions all the way back to 1.0 I believe (which I used to own).

Do this BEFORE you import a clip:

fcp1.png

fcp2.png

Now import your clips. Your clip that you linked to will always be at 23.98. If you are editing regular video shot with the typical camcorder, you'll want to leave it at 29.97. When you export, be sure to select 23.98 as the framerate when you encode the new Quicktime!

OP
glosswhite
Reaction score
I just wanted to express my personal thanks to you, for taking so much time and patience with me on this; I am a COMPLETE beginner!.

Ok, well I cannot find the level of options you have screenshotted - here is mine (In Express HD 3.5) following it to the letter, as you detailed:

61ts38h.png

Maybe I need to save, and buy that BIGGG juicy FC Pro Studio 2! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That sure wouldn't hurt and you'd be reeeeaaalllly happy with it. But the option might be somewhere in FCE. It just may look a little different and may require different steps or a different path to get to the same option. Maybe check in the preferences to see if you can change the default sequence settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.