Pickup question for the guitarists

Reaction score
Hi. Any of you guys swapped pickups in a 335-style guitar with no rear access? I just want to swap the stock pickups in my Gibson for a 57 Classic set. Can I just cut the wires on the old pickups and solder the new ones in their place? I really don't want to have to fish around in the f-holes and all that.

Any advice gratefully received.

Martin

Reaction score
I've done a pickup swap on a 335-type guitar (in my case, and Epi Sheraton). It was a major league PITA. Finally gave up, took it the shop, and gladly paid the $85 they charged.

I suppose you could splice the leads, particularly if it's Gibby stock being replaced with Gibby 57 Classics. The concerns would be screwing up the polarity/phasing (north, south, etc.), and of course getting a good splice. The latter shouldn't be too much of problem if you take your time, the former would be a problem is you were swapping to another brand of pickup. Presumably, the Gibby's wiring would be same so just match colors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.