• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help - can't connect Sony TRV-38 video camera

Reaction score
Quick overview of the situation:

Camera bought roughly 3 years ago. iMac bought just last week. CD drivers that came with the camera 3 years ago are not compatible with Mac OS X. The Sony site has no new USB drivers. Google searches have not helped me uncover anywhere to get USB drivers. There must be other Sony camera users on Macs. Can anyone help?

Stephen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
If it is video download you are trying to do, you need to use a firewire (or iLink) cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
If your camera is the DCR-TRV38, then it should have a firewire/i.Link port.

Check out this Sony page for the Operating Instrustions (2nd choice), download it and see pages 75, 138, 163, 194 and 209.

Reaction score
i have the sony DCR-HC15E and it does have i link, so i connect to firewire on my computer but it doesnt get recognized by the computer, when i search for the camera nothing is found, and imovie also doesnt see it as it only gives me import or caption option from the isight camera....

im looking for months already to find a solution as i dont want to spend lots of money on a new cam again.'

its just rediculous.....now i know that things on a mac do not just work!

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry xStep you are 100% correct there is a DV input that allows connection with an optional iLink cable.

However i am concerned that newmacuser12 is saying that their experience is that even with the iLink cable the camera is not seen.

Newmacuser12 - what mac model? Do you get an error msg or the computer does not even see it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mcdonnells, ignore newmacuser12's problem. Different camera and other unknowns. Buy a firewire cable. If you can find a local small computer dealer you might get it cheaper than buying in a bigger store.

newmacuser12, perhaps this trouble shooting tip might help;

1. connect your camera to your Mac via firewire and turn it on
2. start System Profiler in the Applications/Utilties folder
3. click on Firewire selection under the Hardware area

If you see some specs on your camera, then at least you know the camera and cable are working.

If you don't see the specs, then perhaps the cable is damaged or the firewire port on the camera, or Mac, is not functioning properly.

I have to admit, I'm making an assumption that if all the parts are working that the System Profiler tool will at least be able to tell you that much.

Reaction score
Mcdonnels listen to xstep and not to me as i have humongous probs !

xstep, ive had 3 cables now *** i always thought maybe its a faulty cable. when i go to sys profiler and firewire it only show me the speed of the port and nothing at all about the camera connected to it, so no it doesnt see it, however the cam says its connected to a computer!

doh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
newmacuser, that sounds troubling.

If you have a Windows friend, perhaps you can ask them to try it out. They may have to download some demo software to do it though.

Oh. You could just walk into a dealer with the camera loaded with a tape and bring the cable and hook it up to different systems to see what happens.

I don't know what else to suggest. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear it mcdonnells. Thanks for letting us know.

Wish we could say the same for newmacuser.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.