• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iMac purchase. Need help.

Reaction score
Hello, I am about to dive back in to using a mac and need your advice.
I owned a iBook a few years back with OS X and enjoyed the system until
one day it went dead. That left me with my PC were i became a gamer.
I miss my Mac OS X and want to dive into a iMac and use it for all my needs
including games. How well do games play on the new imacs using bootcamp?
Would i be safe to purchase the 24" iMac with the 2.4? If you have used the new iMac for gaming, how does it fair?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB
Which games are you planning on playing? None of the iMacs exactly tear up the gaming scene, but you may be able to get by depending on the game.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
With the new ATi cards being directX compatible n all, I don't see much of a problem on the gaming scene. Although, the 24 inch does have that enormous 1920*1200 resolution...

OP
R
Reaction score
I plan on playing BF2 and 2142 and quake wars when its released. I don't
care about having the highest settings in the game. Just want to know
if it will play in a good medium range with good frame rates.

Reaction score
hi, I'm playing BF 2142, mac version, on an 20'' aluminum Imac with Ati 2600 pro card... it's a bit sluggish at high settings but plays correctly at mid settings, there seems to be a lot of problems with that game that are described on other threads though (game not starting, freezing, etc.), but I'm not having any problems on my end so far...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
Depends on the game - I can tell you the 2.0Ghz iMac C2D plays World of Warcraft totally fine.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I took a road trip to the apple store in charlotte, Nc
to get a first look at the iMac system. I also spoke to a few people in the store that have played games on XP using bootcamp. They all said that the games play fine. I will be buying mine real soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
I have a 24" 2.8 Imac, I play World of Warcraft with zero problems.... and until recently I used a 20"... and EA is now going to release a huge list of games... I see mac getting into the gaming Computer game very soon

Reaction score
I run the Mac genre of "Need for Speed Carbon" on a 24" iMac, 2.8GHz. (4GB. 1TB). The game blazes without issues. I have also ordered Madden NFL 08. Hopefully I will have the same results. You can find more on EA Games now available at Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.